2 weeks out and lots of questions

toobigjca
on 5/1/11 7:17 pm - VA
Lap Band on 05/17/11 with
I met with the nutritionist and physical therapist. Both of them left me with questions.

When considering other surgeries my plan was to extend the 3 month diet. 3 weeks full liquids instead of 2. 5 weeks mushies instead of 4.

My nut said to no do that with this surgvery but to stick to the plan.

Also no exercise for 4-6 weeks to allow the band to settle in. I assume this means no aggressive workouts right? I can still walk right?

How long until I can have sex? 4-6 week? That sucks.

I've been working out pretty hard and am having good results. Can't believe I have to give all thatt up for 4-6 weeksz.

I just want to get the band in and keep working out but don't. Want slippage or problems.

Also I just found out my dr doesn't fill and do barium tests at the same time. A friend of mine says this is key to making the band working properly.

Your thoughts?????
Lisaizme
on 5/1/11 7:34 pm - TX
I can't address the diet question.. my post-op liquids to soft to solids was only about 2 weeks.  I didn't lose well until I was back on regular food.

The no agressive workouts is to allow the band and your incisions to heal well.  Walking is fine.  A little TLC when you are early post-op will go a LONG ways later on.  My doctor's instructions say no lifting more than 10lbs for at least 2 weeks.  Ask yours what his limitations are.

The no-sex question you'll have to ask your doctor.  Probably no vigorus activity for the immediate post-op, but I'd bet you could be on the receiving end as soon as you felt good enough.  I don't want to get more explicit than that, but I think you can figure out what I mean.  Ask the MD.

There's two schools of thought on the use of fluroscopy to do fills.  Some say it's essential, others say not so.

My experience has been no fluoro (the barium that you refer to), but they did use ultrasound to locate my port when I was still SMO (super morbidly obese).  I've had very little trouble with fills, only overfilled one time and that was a year ago.  Personally, I've had so many tiny fills that if they used fluoro for each one, I'd be glowing in the dark by now (JOKE).  I don't want or need the extra radiation.

I could see the argument that if they had used fluoro that maybe I wouldn't have needed so many little fills, but I am happy with the way things have gone.  Having little fills has let me adjust gradually to smaller bites, smaller meals, etc.  EVERYONE is different.  You will find your path.

Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Tiff tells all
on 5/2/11 12:48 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
That is a lot of questions. Just a warning- no two bariatric office has the same set of rules so you might see a good variety in the answers you hear back.  These are mine...

Stick to the original diet... in the long run, it doesn't make a difference. Being a bandster, you're not going to drop poundage like an RNY patient, so just settle in for the long haul.

a 4-6 week delay in heavy lifting, running and crazy workouts sounds right. I'd avoid crunches as much as possible. You want that port to really become solid in the stomach muscles so you don't get a flip or a floating port where it breaks loose like I did. OOPS! The good news is that they just tack it back down. It's an easy repair comparatively.

Sex- they told me to hold off for at least 2 weeks but when it feels comfortable, go for it. Just don't get crazy. You know your body, you'll know how sore you are and you'll certainly be able to modify in order to accommodate your phial activity level. Just stay out of any positions that cause too much strain for a while

Walking is the perfect workout. No muscle straining, just good light cardio. My MD told me at the beginning that walking was a load bearing exercise just by hauling my 300lb carcass around.

My MD doesn't routinely do fluro either. They do if there is a problem. It has never been an issue. Now, I have a friend who's office only does fills under fluro. It really varies from office to office and what instruments they own. And it also depends on your surgery package. I pay for my fills out of pocket. Some insurance cover it. Some people buy a full surgery package with fills for life. It really varies.

I can tell you that by sneaking up on my restriction point, it's allowed me to slowly curtail my eating habits to match my fill levels. My friend who had the fluro however had to hit the ground running and has had immense problems because she had to have her eating habits perfected 100% of the time from about 1 month out. She has had probably 30 fills/unfills. I've not even had a dozen. So... it's all a gamble. There is no right way or wrong way. It's all just preference and office policy.

Good luck!

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

LuciousLA & Babylapband
on 5/2/11 2:09 am - Greenbelt, MD
Lap Band on 02/13/06 with
On May 2, 2011 at 2:17 AM Pacific Time, toobigjca wrote:
I met with the nutritionist and physical therapist. Both of them left me with questions.

When considering other surgeries my plan was to extend the 3 month diet. 3 weeks full liquids instead of 2. 5 weeks mushies instead of 4.

My nut said to no do that with this surgvery but to stick to the plan.

Also no exercise for 4-6 weeks to allow the band to settle in. I assume this means no aggressive workouts right? I can still walk right?

How long until I can have sex? 4-6 week? That sucks.

I've been working out pretty hard and am having good results. Can't believe I have to give all thatt up for 4-6 weeksz.

I just want to get the band in and keep working out but don't. Want slippage or problems.

Also I just found out my dr doesn't fill and do barium tests at the same time. A friend of mine says this is key to making the band working properly.

Your thoughts?????
When considering other surgeries my plan was to extend the 3 month diet. 3 weeks full liquids instead of 2. 5 weeks mushies instead of 4. The band works better with solide protein, not liquid, the liquid period is for healing, it is important to go through the stages, not to make your own rules.

My nut said to no do that with this surgvery but to stick to the plan. You really need to stick to the plan

Also no exercise for 4-6 weeks to allow the band to settle in. I assume this means no aggressive workouts right? I can still walk right?, you can wal****il you drop...no exercise is something that is going to do pulling ie. pushup, weight lifting, running

How long until I can have sex? 4-6 week? That sucks. I asked my doctor this and he said "please at least wait till you get home from the hospital.  Seriously, I think it is when you are comfortable to do it.

I've been working out pretty hard and am having good results. Can't believe I have to give all thatt up for 4-6 weeksz. You can still work out, but just wont be able to "go hard"

I just want to get the band in and keep working out but don't. Want slippage or problems. Unless you are superman, you will want to have a recovery period and you really wont know how you will feel until after the surgery so your worrying may be for naught...you may feel like crap and dont feel like doing much anyway.

Also I just found out my dr doesn't fill and do barium tests at the same time. A friend of mine says this is key to making the band working properly. In my 5 years, I had one barium test to see how things was moving down and my band is working properly. You have to know and accept that not all doctors do things the same way. 

Your thoughts?????
Lisa O.
on 5/2/11 2:26 am - Snoqualmie, WA
You have received a lot of good responses so I'll only add that I believe following the Dr.'s orders are really important.  They are the ones responsible for your after-care and you need to work as a team! 

I've never had had a fill with floroscopy. My sugeon maintains that it's not necessary unless there is an issue and just costs more and exposes you to more radiation.  I've never had an issue with a fill.  As long as you drink water before you leave to make sure it goes down without trouble, you should be fine.

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

kathkeb
on 5/2/11 2:48 am
The band works best with us eating small bites of lean/solid protein and some produce.

Extending the liquid/mushie phase beyond your healing period will not allow your band to dim your appetite.  So, I completely agree with your nutritionist.

I was allowed to do 'hard' aerobic activity (walking, biking, elliptical machine) after 1 week.
I was not allowed to lift weights or do abdominal work for 6 weeks post op.

I have never had a fill with barium or with fluroscopy --- and I have lost 135 pounds and reached my weight loss goal a few months ago.
My doctor only does them if the patient is having problems.

He believes that repeated exposure to fluroscopy may have an effect on the band (or at least the older generation bands --- thinks it may make them 'brittle'), so he reserves it for when it is completely necessary.
Kath

toobigjca
on 5/2/11 7:14 pm - VA
Lap Band on 05/17/11 with
I love all you guys! Thanks for all the great responses!
Most Active