Am I A Success?

Debbie R.
on 5/14/11 11:29 am, edited 5/14/11 11:40 am - Las Cruces, NM

I had my first lap band placed on July 5, 2007 lost 15 pounds (the surgeon, a different surgeon, didn't put the band around my stomach) I had my second band placed May 5, 2008. I have gone from 240 pounds to 172 pounds, a BMI of 44 to a 31. I am still considered obese!!
I have a 10cc band with 8cc in it. My doctor told be a few weeks ago when I had my last fill that he won't give me anymore (he's told me that before). He chews my A$$ every time I go there. I just thought that was they way he was... an unfriendly A$$hole.

My sister just had gastric bypass with him 10 days ago, I took her to the hospital for her surgery and stayed all day. He was sooooo nice to her. He even went to the hospital several times to check on her. (I NEVER saw him when I was in there)

Anyway, back on topic. He says I am a total success and he won't do a revision on me. He told my sister that he wished I'd had the bypass, that way I wouldn't be a pain in his A$$ bugging him all the time wanting a fill.

So, my question is... With almost 70 pounds lost, and nothing in almost 2 years, a BMI from 44 to 31, and still considered obese, do you think I am a success or should I think about a revision (with a different surgeon). Is it even worth contacting my  insurance comp about revision to the sleeve?

ammnlb07
on 5/14/11 11:49 am
I have not yet had weight loss surgery, but in my opinion I think you are a success. The simple fact that you lost weight is a success.  However, that doesn't mean that you should or shouldn't get the revision. Each person is different. I think it is up to you and what you want. Do you feel happy and satisfied with your body the way it is now? Or would you like to continue your weight loss? I think that if it is something that you want for you ( and not the doctor's opinion) then I would go through with it. However, I wouldn't put up with someone being mean to you. Weight loss takes encouragement, support, and understanding. Not criticism.
Debbie R.
on 5/14/11 11:58 am - Las Cruces, NM
I wish I could lose at least another 30 pounds, 40 would be better. I have recently been told I have degenerate disc disease and even though that will never improve, in my personal opinion losing another 40 pounds will be less weight on my back. 
I am 5'02" and 172 pounds. I think that is too much weight. 
Debbie R.
on 5/14/11 11:59 am - Las Cruces, NM

I SEND YOU PRAYERS AND BEST WISHES FOR YOUR SURGERY!!

crystal M.
on 5/14/11 12:30 pm, edited 5/14/11 12:31 pm - Joliet, IL
I know this is easier said than done but I wouldn't put up with that from my surgeon.  I pay good money for his services and I expect to be treated with respect and professionalism.  He is totally breaking down your confidence.  He is being emotionally abusive to you.  If this was your husband it would be a bad relationship.  For your sake you need to leave him before he tears you down any further.

YOU ARE A SUCCESS!!!  Don't listen to that jack-wad!!!!  Losing that much weigh is amazing.  I know you want to be at a normal BMI...I do too.  I have lost 150 lbs so far and I haven't gotten to a normal BMI yet.  I want to be at a normal BMI for the sake of my health (studies have shown people with a BMI above normal is 3 times more at risk for heart disease).  But I don't base my success on this.  I will keep on trying to get to normal and I'm sure you will too.  Keep up the fight and don't let anyone tell you that you aren't a great success!!! 
Debbie R.
on 5/14/11 12:41 pm - Las Cruces, NM
That's just it... He say I AM a success, that's why he doesn't want me to be a pain the A$$
crystal M.
on 5/14/11 12:45 pm - Joliet, IL
Consult another surgeon and see what he thinks.  I still don't like the way this suregon is treating you. 
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/11 5:04 pm - San Diego, CA
OMG, I totally agree!!!  Since you don't know what its like to have a "nice" surgeon, you have nothing to compare it to...but this is unacceptable treatment.  Hugs to you...
J J.
on 5/14/11 3:33 pm - Longmont, CO
Hi Debbie,

Had to chime in here - I don't think it's right for your dr. to decide you have lost enough weight and to refuse to give you any more adjustments. As long as you are healthy and not trying to get dangerously thin, he should be supporting you.

If he keeps treatly you poorly, I would recommend you find someone more supportive.

Best of luck to you! 
J

Lisaizme
on 5/14/11 12:44 pm - TX
Personally, I think you should get a third opinion from a third bariatric surgeon.

There's no reason for a physician to treat a patient so unprofessionally.

I don't know much about the area you're located.. are there other options (other surgeons) in your city?  Would you trust your current bariatric surgeon to do a revision if he's treating you poorly right now?

Could you travel a bit to see another surgeon if there's not one close by?

While I'm no expert, I think it is possible to take you up a little further with fluid.  But that might not be the whole issue.  Are you relying on the band to restrict you or are you eating your small portions and stopping?  

I'm not saying that you are at fault.. far from it.  I'm wondering if you were (like so many others) led to believe that the band is about restriction...when it's more about dimming the appetite.
http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-rest riction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

I understand the feeling of "Gosh, I've done all this work, lost so much and yet I'm still obese according to the BMI".  I'm in the same boat.  Pass the life preserver!!   I'd sometimes like to strangle the person who came up with the BMI.. it's so inaccurate when applied to people who've been obese for a long period of time.  

YES.. you are a success.  Can you have more success?  I think so.  You need a new doctor.. one who is supportive and willing to work with you.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Most Active