serious question

wannalose4boo09
on 5/29/11 8:49 am - Madison, IN
VSG on 01/16/12
I have a serious question for you all.  Have any of you been on meds for ur nerves(to calm you down)?  If so has this either stop or slowed down ur journey to have WLS? 

psychomom
on 5/29/11 10:11 am - China Grove, NC
ME ! and no it did not slow or stop me from getting surgery :) I have Bipolar/OCD/Panic/anxiety disorder and take meds for all that . I have been stable for years but just the fact that I have these issues and take meds did not interfere with anything. My psych Dr was behind my decision .I actually choose a Dr in her practice that does gastric evals instead of going with the Dr referred by the surgeon because I was afraid it would be an issue but there was not one. 

veenie73
on 5/29/11 10:29 am - Louisville, KY
Yes, I do. No, it didn't slow it down or even stop my WLS. My therapist was very nice and she helped me alot with some issues that I was having. She said I was a good candidate for the surgery. I have a panic disorder. My pcp thinks that if I lose wt that I will be off the meds for the panic disorder. We will see, but as for now they help me alot.

Lynn
The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time...   

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 10:34 am - Mayville, NJ
I have been on many different kinds of medications as I have a twisted health history and Bipolar Disorder etc. I had to do more testing than others for health clearance and sign my records from my psyche clinic over and get a sign off to prove stability before he would say yes to my surgery.

In what way do you mean :
"stop or slowed down ur journey to have WLS? "
carriesb
on 5/29/11 3:01 pm
I have bipolar anxiety and ADD I had no problems geting surgery and I make sure my psych DR only prescribes meds that do not cause weight gain.
vlp1968
on 5/29/11 7:50 pm
I have bipolar and had no trouble getting the psychologist to "sign off" on my surgery. As far as weight gain my psyc. did make a switch from one that can cause weight gain to one in the same family that doesn't. Wasn't a good change at all, lots of trouble sleeping and deppression. I went back to the old med. but didn't have trouble loosing.
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 11:30 pm - Mayville, NJ
Im now on Lamictal and Straterra alone for my Bipolar, ADHD. Ive been on every weight gainer but Lithium...I went from a size12 (which is still obese for my height) to an 18-20 in four years. Once I was refusing atypical antipsychotics I stopped gaining weight. I didn't need them as I wasnt delusional (I have Bipolar II) and they were not working well with my body.
wannalose4boo09
on 5/29/11 11:34 pm - Madison, IN
VSG on 01/16/12
Thanks everyone!!  I want something to calm my nerves so I can do everyday things,cause I wanna get my license but with my nerves I am scared too.  And I don't wanna have to depend on others to go places,cause we live in a small rural town(like 400 or so people) and places like dr offices,wal-mart n etc;are 15 or more miles away.  I think if I get on some meds for them n have surgery I will have more confidence to go out n do more things. If any of these makes any sense to you all. 

psychomom
on 5/30/11 12:50 am - China Grove, NC
It makes perfect sense ! Anxiety keeps us from doing so many things.Good for you for wanting to test the waters and gain some freedom!!!! :) They actually have choices out there today that do not cause weight gain so that is a plus I would make sure your Dr knows that that will be a big issue for you. Some meds do cause really bad weight gain.

Most Active