I'm New Here- And I have a question!

GingerNikki
on 6/13/11 4:29 am
Hi all!
I've been looking for a good lap-band forum to be a part of.  Any regulars here?  I've been to lapbandtalk.com and I hate that site.  It always freezes, is so hard to use, and somehow I keep getting spam email from them. 

Anyway- I've been looking to network with other bandsters because I don't personally know ANYBODY who has had the surgery besides me.  I had my surgery September 21, 2010.  I've lost 65 pounds.  Yay!

My question is this- I have the large band and have had nearly 6 CCs put into the band- my past several fills have caused me to have what I can only describe as esophogeal spasms.  It doesn't matter how small my bite is, or what I'm eating, or how many times I chewed.  No matter what it is, my esophogus goes into spasm and I feel like I have too much restriction.  However, about 15 minutes into my meal, the spasm stops and I am able to eat freely.  Because I can still eat a good amount, and because I get hungry before I should, I know my restriction is not where it should be just yet- maybe one more fill- but how can I get this spasm to STOP?!  Does this happen to anybody else?

Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 4:35 am, edited 6/13/11 4:39 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
Drink hot tea prior to your meal and that will relax your esophagus, I found by having a little bit more restriction those esophageal spasms stops. Also make sure you are taking pea size bites and don't eat too quickly. I forgot another tip....chew a few papaya enzymes ****ep this still with me at 6 years) and that will help clear residue from your pouch to allow you to eat freely without too much hassle especially in public. 
Lisa O.
on 6/13/11 5:10 am - Snoqualmie, WA
This is a great forum.  I've been a member since 2009.  You will hear all the good and the bad band experiences so be prepared to read the variety of posts and ultimately draw your own conclusions based on your personal experience.  For me, the band has be awesome and I've lost and maintained 110+ lbs.

I don't think I've experienced spasms like you describe.  I know that I'm tighter in the morning so a warm beverage helps to loosen things up and if I eat too fast or take too big of a bite and don't chew well enough that food will get stuck and/or come back up. 

I would definately ask your surgeon about the spasm just to be safe. 

Congratulations on your awesome WL success and welcome!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Jean M.
on 6/13/11 6:06 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Welcome! And congrats on the weight loss!

You might get more responses if you re-title this post something like: question about esophageal spasms.

It sounds a bit like you're experiencing a form of what we call First Bite Syndrome. As Lisa O. mentioned, drink a hot liquid before you eat might help lubricate your esophagus and prevent this kind of thing from happening. Have you mentioned it to your surgeon?

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

rebecca110
on 6/13/11 11:01 am - Milledgeville, GA
I have a very similar experience after my first or second bite, it hurts and feels like it is stuck. Sometimes I hiccup a few times.  I stop eating and waiting a minute or two and then I can continue to eat normally with proper size and chewing of course.  I thought that perhaps with the first bite I take, it might be too large and not chewed well enough and then I remember to do it right.
mary101678
on 6/13/11 11:19 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Rebecca:
I do the same thing as you do....
I need a little hot liquid, and smaller bites, and I'm fine...
Thanks for the post...
Best,
Mary

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 11:47 am - San Diego, CA
Welcome to the boards and congrats on your weight loss!!!  You have received great responses and mine would be identical to Jean's above - sounds like First Bite Syndrome to me and often if you drink a hot drink before your meal (I mean as HOT as you can stand it), it will ease the pain and weirdness of the first bites and prime (lubricate) your band for the forthcoming food.

I have been an active member of OH's Lap-Band Forum since mid-2009.  I reached my goal rather quickly and have been maintaining that loss for nearly 18 months now with ease.  I am on here every single day and have made some great friends here that offered and provided unconditional support throughout my entire journey.  You will receive the same, I'm sure! :)

So, WELCOME!

rebecca110
on 6/14/11 4:26 am - Milledgeville, GA
My weight loss was fast for the first three months, then I came to a halt. 

I am thinking I was just eating too much between meals.  This week I have lost two pounds and feel hopeful again. It has helped that my husband has gone low carb and wanted to loose a few pounds.  He has lost seven pounds to my two. He hasn't had surgery. 

I have only lost about half of my weight in six months.  My doctor keeps telling me that is okay, to just keep slowly loosing. My exercise is heavy duty gardening for about three hours most days.

Most Active