My surgery is July 14th

tross1562
on 6/29/11 12:23 am - Las Vegas, NV
I'm having the LapBand done in 2 wks. Dr. Teng is my surgeon and I think he is great.  I am so nervous and excited at the same time. I am also a little scared. I just dont know what to expect, what should I do to get ready for this? What do I do after I have it?

Anyone who has anything that would like to share with me would be great.  Do's and Don'ts. I could not make it to the lst support group but I plan on attending all after the surgery. Does anyone atteend Dr. Tengs support groups?

Thanks
Terri
Terri    
fullnest
on 6/29/11 3:33 am - OR
 I had my surgery May 13th.  I fasted 2 days before my surgery.  liquids only.  He recommended I do only one day but I did two. i recommend taking colace everyday, as I was so you know what from the anesthesia and pain pills and drinking that it bound me right up.  I took 2-3 pills a day(they are small less than the size of an eraser) and seeing that you're drinking your protein it can have that affect. I bought many different protein drinks and the one that I liked best was chocolate muscle milk and the odwalla chocolate(though a bit high in sugar).  Every 15 minutes I took a sip or 2 for the first couple days.  AND DON'T forget to keep regular with the pain pills.  My surgery was thursday and I was walking around and such and by Saturday night I had taken my last pain pill.  I like to sleep on my stomach and couldn't do that for 3 weeks.  I had to prop myself up in bed, which eventually led to a pinched nerve in my hip-so be careful.  Walk no matter what-it'll help speed up recovery, but don't do too much.  Slow walking a few minutes here and there throughout the day add up.  It feels like you're being pulled down through a marionette string attached to your stomach-that's the best I can explain it.  I did a liquid diet for 2 weeks and gradually I was able to up my liquid intake.  I wasn't hungry at all as your insides are still fairly swollen.  That 3rd week I did some soft mush foods but was able to tolerate some solid as long as I chewed well.  Greek yogurt was my savior. Stir in some homey or I bought the ones that had the fruit on the side.  Those boxed creamy organic/non-organic soups??  Blech...not a huge fan. My husband made homemade chicken noodle soup-and he strained it for me.  Another savior!!!  It's all about what you like.  He made a beef stew and I just drank the broth he saved for me before he thickened it.  I wouldn't push the whole eating thing until you feel ready.  The first week goes by really fast.  Everyone is different.  It's very exciting yes, and scary too.  But if you like your dr and the staff you're in good hands.  Best of luck, I hoped this helped.  If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
tross1562
on 6/29/11 7:27 am - Las Vegas, NV
I bought Trader Joe's protein shake mix, I will start that tomorrow.  I already drink alot of water (in live in NV and it's hot).  Thank you for posting it really helps that there are people that are going throught the same things you are or will be going through. I'm getting a better understanding of what's ahead for me. Although I am nervous but don't have any anxiety about it now.

Thanks again
Terri
Terri    
songbird5769
on 6/29/11 4:47 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 07/07/11

My  lap band surgery is July7th. I am on 2 weeks of just protien shakes 3-4 times a day, sugar free jello and chicken and beef broth. I've lost 8 pounds in 6 days from that alone. after surgery, I am on clear liquids for a few days then 2 weeks of protein shakes, cream of wheat, smooth yogurt, then two weeks of mushies low fat refried beans w/cheese lowfat ricotta baked with tomato sauce and cheese, etc. Then onto normal foods. Take pea sized bites, chew thoroughly  into mush and eat slowly.

tross1562
on 6/29/11 7:32 am - Las Vegas, NV
Wow your  surgery is only one week away. I bet you are excited? I start the protein shake tomorrow.  I got the Trader Joe's because it has more protein and vitamins.  It's great to have people to talk to about this experience. I don't feel so nervous when I have someone to talk to. It's like having your first baby, everyone's labor is different but the end result is the same.

Terri
Terri    
fullnest
on 6/30/11 2:38 am - OR
 You guys are going to do great!!!  Now is the time to explore your options with protein shakes and soups and mushy foods to see what you like , as these are the things you'll be doing on a regular basis especially when you have your fills.  2 days of liquids after a fill and 2 days of soft mushy food.  I set a timer on my phone for every 15 min so that I wouldn't forget to drink for 1 week post op.  Gradually everything returns to normal.  I've had my first fill, and don't really feel different.  They say it takes 3-4 fills to feel that restriction. Support groups are great, and this forum is good, sometimes its nice to talk to someone in person though.  Moving around is key and I found refried beans sometimes caused gas cramps-I love them, but...I also found that now that I am eating regular food, tomato sauces (pasta, pizza, topping over grilled chicken, etc.) gives me heartburn-never did before-but it does now.  And sometimes that first bite of real food when you swallow it can cause issues.  Like you have something lodged in your throat-or when you swallow something and it feels like it's going down wrong.  So chew small bites and at least 30 chews-which I found is hard to do especially with the small amount of food.  That's about all i can think of.  Good luck on your journey!!!  Your surgeries will be here before you know it, and like I said-it goes by so fast...

Most Active