Still hungry after first fill...

KRYSTIE
on 7/18/11 1:54 am - Clearwater/St. Pete, FL
Ok, so I had my first fill July 7th...  and I'm still hungry and able to eat too much.  I have a 10cc band, and I'm at 5.2cc now.  Granted, I only am able to eat about HALF of what I was capable of eating pre-surgery, but I can still go out to eat and almost clean my plate.  The only thing that stops me is me telling myself...  "no, I need to stop" and putting down my fork.  I keep it between 1200 and 1500 cals a day, but not through any help from the band yet.  :(  

After a meal, I feel a little full, but that's about it.  I have no problems with any foods unless it happens to be too dry and I forget to chew chew chew.  Then OUCH!!  

Example:  Yesterday went to a pool party, and just opted for a "no restriction" lunch (which means I can just eat what I want) and tried to test out exactly how far I could go.  I had a hot dog (w/ bun), 1/2c pork chop, 1/4c pasta salad, about 1/2c of fresh pineapple.  About an hour later I had 3 sugar cookies, 1/2c Bugles.  I could have eaten more about an hour after that, but waited until later in the evening and had my normal 1/2c dinner.  Still kept it under 2000 for the day, but...

Is this normal?   

bubblesrn
on 7/18/11 2:34 am
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
Hi Krystie,
For most of us, it takes up to the 3rd or 4th fill to get to what we call the "sweet spot" or "green zone"  until then, it's almost like you have to be on a "diet"  This is also the time to make those lifestyle changes.  Try to stay away from the slider foods such as those sugar cookies and Bugles.  They rack up in calories, fats, carbs and sodium.  I'm not sure about your surgeon's office, but our patients are never supposed to go above 1200 calories... no matter what part of their journey they are on.  Just double check with your surgeon and nutritionist.  I'm sorry I may seem harsh on you but I just want you to succeed on whatever your goals with the TOOL of the band may be....

Take care
Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

Jordiesmama69
on 7/18/11 2:37 am - Roscoe, IL
It may take a few fills to get true restriction. Until that arrives for you, you need to stay on track, measure your food, eat protein first to stay full longer, no drinking after meals for at least 30 minutes. You need to stay away from "no restriction" days LOL It is not easy by any means, especially without proper restriction but that is where you have to really have to step up. Meaure food, track your intake and most of all make GOOD food choices until you have proper restriction! Good luck and make your next fill apointment so that in a few weeks, you will be ready! Best of luck on your journey
shamr0ck
on 7/18/11 2:42 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 12/20/10
I didn't really have any significant restriction until my third fill, and then i wound up having to have a partial unfill, because i couldn't eat.

Just remember, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" when it comes to over eating or indulging in unhealthy foods.
Highest weight - 224   Surgery weight - 201   Current weight - 155
Goal - (surgeon) 155; (personal) 138-bodyfat 20%

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 2:58 am - Des Moines, IA
If you want to lose weight, you need a lot less cals than the 2000.  "Cleaning your plate" and expecting your band to stop you will only cause problems down the road.  People can end up stretching their pouch, or dilating their esophagus or getting a slip.  Please be careful.

Even with good restriction, you could graze all day and eat cookies and slider foods.  It's up to YOU to eat less and move more to lose weight.  I know it sounds easy, but I know it's tough.  You can do this!
crystal M.
on 7/18/11 3:56 am - Joliet, IL

It took me 9 fills.  You just have to be patient.  You are not supposed to eat till you feel full.  Also, testing your band could lead to problems...be very careful. 

At 5.2 ccs I felt nothing either...hell at 7.2ccs I felt nothing. 

KRYSTIE
on 7/18/11 4:26 am - Clearwater/St. Pete, FL

My goal has never been to lose the weight fast...  1 - 2 lbs a week is what has been discussed with my physician so they are content w/ my 1200 - 1500 cals a dayI AM losing AND not feeling any restriction.  Which means it is ME that's doing it, and NOT the band.  I feel pretty proud of that fact.  I watch myself 95% of the time, so I'm not going to let myself feel guilty in allowing myself the occasional day of indulgence.  Especially when 5hrs of that day was spent in the pool swimming and tossing my kids around.  :)  They certainly never let me rest!!  Lol.

I was simply curious if this was normal, and yesterday seemed like a good day to get an idea of what the band COULD be doing for me, not what I was regularly pushing it to do.  I apologize if anyone got the wrong idea on that.  Apparently I need to be less detailed in my questions, as too much can be taken in a negative fashion.

Thank you.

mstrip59
on 7/18/11 6:27 am
Sometimes it takes a good few fills to get to a "good restriction" so hang in there! I attempt to live by the motto "just because you can doesn't mean you should" so continue to be mindful of above and keep doing what you are doing. Good luck.
Most Active