Lapband weight loss

Weighting2Bskinny
on 7/22/11 6:27 am
Is there anyone here who had lapband and had 200 pounds to lose? I need to lose over 200. I want lapband, though. Is it possible with lapband? PLease respond

GOD BLESS YOU            
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 6:36 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Why did you choose the lap band ?
Weighting2Bskinny
on 7/22/11 6:56 am
its the safest and seems to be the right choice. Its doiesnt require cutting your organs and stuff too.

GOD BLESS YOU            
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 7:14 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
If you are interested......I can link you to ex lap banders like myself (and there are plenty of us right here on OH)  who would me more then willing to share with you their very real and very painful experiences with their lap bands.

With the Lap Band you are at the highest risk of all the weight loss surgeries of having to have a revision surgery.

It is not the safest surgery out there in fact the post op complications are very common. I don't mean immediately post op, I mean after two or more years post op. I recently had my second band removed because it eroded into my stomach, but that was only after suffering from sever chronic pain for many many years.

I
vlp1968
on 7/22/11 7:11 am
Yes, I think it can be done. You will loose weight as long as you are burning more calories than your taking in. Be aware that it may not happen as fast as say a bypass would. I choose lapband because it is less invasive. The expected weight loss with the band is 1-2 pounds a week. I lost a little bit faster than that, almost 11 pounds a month on average. I ate very low fat/low carb/low cal/high protien and workout at least 5 times a week. I think you can loose 200 pounds for sure, but it will probably take you at least 2 years. Just be prepared for that. You will have stalls in your weight loss and they can be frustrating. I had a week were I did everything right and gained a pound. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
Weighting2Bskinny
on 7/22/11 7:56 am
thank you for your response.

GOD BLESS YOU            
Hislady
on 7/22/11 7:52 am - Vancouver, WA
Myself I would never opt for the band again but that's another story. If you are dead set on the band do be aware that it is the very hardest way to lose, it will take much longer, you WILL have to diet and you WILL have to exercise. You will have to do everything you've always done to lose weight, it'll just be somewhat easier with the band IF you have no problems with it and that is a big IF. I wish you well but I truely hope you don't have the problems so many of us do.
Grider
on 7/22/11 8:30 am, edited 7/22/11 8:30 am - Clearwater, FL

Last night I met with over 20 ladies at the support group who have had lap bands. Some new but many over 8 yrs ago and they were so happy.  Some had lost about 180 lbs. I am not banded yet, and this is what is best for me, but there are some folks here who are dead set against it because of bad experiences and other issues-- but not every body has a problem.  I think you need to talk with your doctor - do your home work- check insurance and and then pray on it. I have 2 months to go, and I am getting banded, because I feel that is what is best for me. Good luck .

MARIA F.
on 7/22/11 8:42 am - Athens, GA

Is it possible with the Lap-Band? Yes. Is it probable? NO! I've seen ppl at a yr. that have lost 25 pounds.................35 at 2 yrs.............4 yrs. out and up 10 pounds. So the odds are even against u with the band even if just have 100 pounds to lose. As I have mentioned to you be on the forum.......................many ppl NEVER even reach restriction. Hell u can diet and do just as good as some ppl did with the band!

And I see u want the band because it's the "safest". Well that is just DURING the actual surgery. All the band complications start AFTER surgery. Most seem to be at about 1-4 yrs. However I have seen ppl post with slips, erosion, or esophageal dysmotility at just a month or 2 out!

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

CScott0925
on 7/22/11 10:45 pm
The band is a tool that requires diet, exercise, and a change in your thinking about food. It is not THE answer to all your weight problems. I was taking 5-6 pills a day for diabetes, hormones, lack of energy, migraines, and my thyroid. I stopped every thing, but my thyroid, 2 days before and I have not taken any of it since. I have more energy than before and I have a plan. Of course you can lose 200 pounds on the band, you could lose 200 without the band, but the tool is just one piece of the equation. I know old timers that have had the band and that have done gastric bypass. The bypass is faster, but she has not changed what she eats, just how much. I chose the band for some of the same reasons you did and was ready to change what, how much, and how I ate-not everyone is.

Most Active