Need a pick me up...

KRYSTIE
on 8/8/11 1:21 am - Clearwater/St. Pete, FL
I will be 3 months in on the 11th of this month.  I was down 15lbs at my first fill 6 weeks ago, and scheduled for my second one this thursday.

BUT I'M SOOOOOO HUNGRY.  *SIGH* 

I feel like I could eat all the time.  I have no restriction on my band, so I COULD go out to eat, order a regular meal, and EAT IT ALL.  I don't.  I monitor myself very closely, and typically put on my plate what I put on my 2 yr olds plate, but I don't know how much longer I can do this.  When is this thing supposed to kick in and start helping out?? 

My weight loss is slow, but I'm still losing.  I feel good, considering I'M the one doing it, and not the band.  But I'm so tired of listening to my stomach have a conversation with me all day long.  And it's so LOUD the people at work hear it grumble, too.  My 6 yr old laughs because it talks to her all the time, too.

Someone please tell me there is light at the end of this tunnel.  *sigh*  I just want a big fat piece of chocolate cake.

Of course, it probably doesn't help I'm supposed to get my period in a couple of days and that typically turns me into a human garbage disposal anyway...

i just need a pick me up, please...  :)  

Tarris
on 8/8/11 1:49 am
You're going to be okay.  It really is hard at first.  Just try really hard to eat your protein first.  And if you need a little bit more food, go ahead and add an extra protein bar or something like that.

It gets better, I promise.

Lisa O.
on 8/8/11 2:11 am - Snoqualmie, WA
PMS never helps, but this is a difficult time.

Are you getting in 60-80 grams of protein?  Solid protein?  That will be key to your hunger satisfaction at this point. 
Are you eating carbs?  They will contribute to cravings, so I cut out all simple carbs for my first year, sugar, white bread, crackers, potato, rice, etc. and got carbs only from fruit, veggies and some complex carbs like whole grain crackers and oatmeal. 
Yes, you have to be self disciplined right now but you will start to notice a difference soon.  Make sure you are not eating/drinking slider foods and liquid calories at all except for protein shakes IF you need to supplement your protein intake.

The stomach growling does NOT mean you are hungry.  My surgeon say's it's simply your large stomach reacting to not being as full as it's used to being.  The small pouch can be full and the large stomach is making all the noise.  It will adjust.  Ignore it like a child begging for candy at the grocery store...it will eventually stop.

I have no idea what you're eating, but if you want to see the lists of foods that I ate early on, friend me if you haven't already and check out my blog.  It's full of info from my first year post op.

Hang in there! 

"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger"

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

KRYSTIE
on 8/8/11 3:56 am - Clearwater/St. Pete, FL
My count today is 140g of protein, 112g of carbs, and 39g of fat.  So I don't think it's too little protein and too many carbs.  I know what bulk proteins are...  meats, cheese, nuts, eggs, etc.  Things that sit heavy and don't slide through.  Granted, 40g of that 140 are my protein shakes, but the other 100 is full solids.

It's not making noises just because.  If it was, I wouldn't have a hard time ignoring it.  I could care less about the noise.  It's the cramping and muscle spasms that go with it.  :(  It's because I'm actually hungry. 

I had lunch 2 hrs ago.  Ate 6 oz of chicken, first.  Then had 6 oz of veggies.  And then had about 1/4 cup of rice.  My stomach is starting to make noises and cramp up again, already.  A sure sign that both it AND my "pouch" are empty.  And still another hour to go until snack time, which will be a protein bar.  Which will last about a half hour... 

Sigh...  Just 3 more days to go.  Thats what I keep telling myself... 

Lisaizme
on 8/8/11 5:13 am - TX
The chicken and veggies are ok.. but ditch the rice.

Seriously, it will make you hungrier to continue eating white carbs such as Rice, Potatoes, Bread, Pasta, etc.

Even if it's brown rice or wild rice, I'd get it off my food plan while I was having problems with hunger. Once you get the hunger better under control, you can try adding it back in if you miss it.  But in small amounts.  It may take a day or two after getting the white carbs out of your system to notice a difference.

I remember the cramping and muscle spasms, but I didn't have them as far out as you.. I had them early on.  Mine bothered me most at night, keeping me from sleeping.  I finally went and got a cup of yogurt and ate a spoonful or two, then when the stomach woke me up in a few hours, I'd eat another spoonful.

If you're hungry 2 hours after a meal..and drinking a bottle of water (crystal light, unsweet tea, powerade zero, etc) hasn't helped.. then have something like a low cal. string cheese and an apple.   Or a low sugar yogurt.  Something with protein. 

Hang in there.. it gets better.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

debbie H.
on 8/8/11 4:58 am - AR
You are right, this phase is so hard, because your body is trying to adjust and your head and stomach keep telling you that you're hungry.  Welcome to Bandster Hell.  To me, you are going through the hardest part.  If you like nuts, some walnuts or almonds sometimes stop my stomach noises and hunger. I agree, though I like the protein bars, at least I finally found one I really like, they don't supress hunger long.  I have begun to use baby bell cheese and the nuts, and they last longer.  Good Luck to you!

vlp1968
on 8/8/11 5:25 am
I second the nut idea. I find them very satisfiying. I measure out 1/4 c- they are very calorie dense and have significant fat. However it is a healthy fat. I also agree that you might want to try cutting down on the carbs. They raise your blood sugar which causes your body to produce insulin and turn that sugar to fat. Hang in there, I hope your next fill helps.
Catapult
on 8/8/11 5:27 pm - Australia

112g of carb isn't THAT much carb in a day. I generally stay around 70g, and always under 100g/day.

Carbs make you produce insulin, and insulin itself makes you crave more carbs. Rice (ven brown) is high GI so will produce an insulin spike.

For snacks I have 15 blanched almonds or 3 oz tin of tuna or laughing cow light cheese wedge or 2 slices lite cheddar cheese.

I have had 3 fills and have NO restriction yet either. I feel like I could eat a horse, and chase the rider too LOL.

I have 3 meals a day and 1 snack (afternoon tea) and my surgeon only wants me to eat 1 cup, 3 times a day.

Also 6 weeks between fills seems excessive, mine are 3-4 weeks apart.

Hope you reach your green zone soon.

Cat.

Most Active