Solid foods too soon

Kate -True Brit
on 8/19/11 11:38 pm - UK

Doctors train for about 15 years altogether before they are in a position to carry out major surgery. They know what they are talking about. Band manufacturers carry out exhaustive clinical trials. They also know how the band works.

We disobey basic rules at our peril.

Stroh and Monger's longitudinal study of thousands of banded people over 4 years found a clear link between eating solids too soon and later slips.

As we digest solid food, the stomach literally moves. This puts strain on new sutures which not only need to heal but need to be imbedded in scar tissue.

Almost all of us are physically capable of eating all foods until we get fills. If we choose to ignore expert advice, we need to be aware of the potential consequences.

When a British bandster i know had such a major slip her band had to be removed, her doctor said it was at least partly her fault as she did not follow her post- op diet.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

steelerfan1
on 8/20/11 12:17 am
My doc had me so scared of what could happen if I ate solids to soon after surgery. I was not allowed a bite of solid food till six weeks after surgery . He said like you did Kate eating to soon works the stomach muscles . Another reason why they say sbsolutley no exercise unless walking for six weekks after surgery

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Lisa O.
on 8/20/11 12:22 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Excellent post, Kate.

I'm not smart about everything banded but I did follow the doctor's orders 99% of the time for my post op food progression and I believe it's one of the reasons I've had very little trouble with my band and lost weight really fast. 

It's not easy when those first few weeks because the band placement doesn't cure our addiction and we have to muscle through those early days without fills, but taking the risk is just not worth it after everything we went through to get the surgery.

My surgeon has a very strict post op protocol, (liquids for 3 weeks, softs for 2), and one of my proudest moments was making it through without cheating.  We CAN do this! 

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Jean M.
on 8/20/11 1:33 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Amen!

This is why I find myself saying so often, "The early post-op phase is about HEALING, not weight loss."

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active