Trying to to grow concerned...isn't working

Lujansgirl
on 8/24/11 11:28 pm
 Hello all.  I'm a returning member from a few years back now.   My surgery was in 2007.  
Ok, here is my concern....I have a couple.....so brace yourself.
1. For about 2-3 months now my port site is actually painful.  It is bulging a bit...well let's put it this way, it isn't super noticable to those around me, but if you were to touch my side, you would feel it stick way out.  It burns and I notice it is worse when I lay on my side...either side.  I'm now experiencing pain too in my abdomen on the otherside a little lower than where the port site is.  It burns sometime...not always.  I'm thinking that may be a hernia, but I'm most concerned about the port.  Has anyone experienced a hernia at the port?  Or is this pain normal this far out?  I'm talking 4 years out!  Could there be another reason for this pain.  There is no redness or signs of irritation from the outside.
2. I was wondering if there is a possibility that the band around the stomach itself could come undone.  I can eat normal amounts of food without pain.  I am absolutely full to capacity, and when I went for the barium testing to see if my stomach is stretched, they said no it wasn't.  So this doesn't even add up.  I want the band to work for me, but due to the fact that I have moved around a lot and my lack of committment right after my band (depressing ex husband story...you don't wanna know) - It has been a struggle.  Now I'm remarried to Military and absolutely have no idea how this works in the military world! lol.  I don't know if I can start over or not.
Ok this is getting into a multi-problem post....I guess it's just been too long and these things have been weighing on my mind.  Mainly wanted to know if anyone has had experience with those two items.  Thank you.

MARIA F.
on 8/25/11 1:27 am - Athens, GA

As far as the band coming apart, I haven't heard of that. Rather than coming apart it is more likely to erode INTO the stomach. Not good!

You need to get checked out right away. Band complications are extremely common and most seem to start at a few years out. The band can be very dangerous. You don't want to end up with permanent damage like other bandsters on OH!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Dev *.
on 8/25/11 2:14 am - Austin, TX
You may have had a stitch come out of your port and now it is tilted and pulling on things a bit. That can be fixed.
However, beign able to eat large amounts of food with no restriction could mean several things:
1. You sprang a leak and your band is not full anymore
2. Your esophagus is dilated
3. You have an erosion
Bottom line - you really need to see a doctor about this. Tricare does do bands, so you should be able to find a doc in the military system who can help you.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/25/11 3:40 am - UK
Total loss of restriction once you are no longer losing weight may be a leak. Mine was!

But the combined symptoms of port area pain and loss of restriction need checkng out a.s.a.p.. I hope it s just a leak but it can happen that erosion of the band into the stomach tissue sets up infection which s asymptomatic uness the infection travels along the outside of the tube and causes pain, swelling etc round the port.

But if your barium swallow was recent, that can't be the case!

But it needs checking!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active