Banded 3 weeks yesterday!! Update

SpikyP L.
on 8/31/11 6:14 am - NM
Hello, I had a pretty tough time my first 8 days.  I had to go to emergency room, then office visit to get 4.5 cc removed from my new band.  I couldn't eat, pain was unbarable, nausia.  But, after I had all liquid removed, I felt better.  Kept on liquids, then progressed to mushie food this week, my third week.  It has not been too bad.  My first two weeks before surgery, no problem.  I drank 1 glass of V8 around 9 with medicine I had to take, around 12-1 I drank a protein shake, around 3 I had gogurt, around 5-6 my second protein shake, soup when I got home, 1 cup loaded with Campbells noodle soup, then ff pudding or jello around 9.  I did not get hungry, and I did not cheat because I was scared because if I cheated, it would only hurt me, during surgery.  As a matter of fact, I did not have any food Sunday or Monday before my Tuesday surgery just be sure, just protein shakes and jello/pudding.  I am living with zero liquid in my band and I don't get too hungry.  Still on mushies.  If I eat too much, I don't throw up, I get a small pain under my left breast, then it goes away after 5-6 hours, so I have learned not to eat too much.  Other than that, I am doing good, feeling good, and looking forward to a fill some time.  Very small for first and other fills, never want to feel the way I did at first.  I have lost a total of 25 pounds since starting the first two weeks before surgery, so it has been 5 weeks!!  Just want all of our newbies it is not too bad, especially if you are pretty healthy to start.  Good luck to all!!! PL
Jean M.
on 8/31/11 7:53 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you've had an eventful few weeks! You may be able to tolerate more fill more easily in a few weeks, after all the swelling and irritation from your surgery have calmed down.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

debbie H.
on 8/31/11 12:57 pm - AR
Hopefully, things will get better now.  There are those here on this board that do not need fills.  The surgery is enough restriction for them.  Wish I was one, but I'm not.  Good Luck to you!

acutekiss81
on 8/31/11 2:05 pm - NY
Lap Band on 08/25/11 with
 I was banded last Thursday, 8/25. The surgery went well, I was home the same evening. The few hours in the hospital and the first three days were pretty uneventful because I only had water, propel and a bit of protein shakes. On the fourth day I attempted tomato soup (did not thin it) I had about three hesitant spoons before I started to "feel the band" I stopped and since my nutritionists info says i can drink and eat during the liquid stage I had a few sips of ice water also. Then I went and laid down after 15 minutes ( I now know that I should wait 2 hours to do that). 

I instantly became nauseated. I jumped up and fought the feeling. Every time I tried to sit it would come right back! I finally just couldn't anymore and I vomited. This happened again in the middle of the night. The fifth day I had my post op visit with the esophogram. The "physicians assistant?" told me that my band is not blocking me, but that it is a bit more narrow where the band is than she would like. I saw the Xray...the space was tiny! 
I was also shown that I have a huge gas bubble right next to my band on the left side. She advised me to stay on clear and warm liquids and maybe stay away from cold things and thicker soups.

I am writing all this because I just had a light bulb moment when I read this post. I wonder... does anyone know if the docs usually fill the band during surgery or is this a rare occurrence? I am thinking that if they can loosen the band I wouldn't be in so much hell right now. 
if I can only stand a few spoons of thin broth at a time, I cannot imagine moving to mushies on Sunday  which is what my instructions are... I am thinking I should call the office and find out if they have fluid in my band!!??

Also, if I take a deep breath I feel a pressure on my left side from my stomach to my back. Is that normal?

SpikyP L.
on 9/1/11 3:00 am - NM
Hello, from what I have read and the responses I received when I was going through the tough time the first 8 days, some surgeons do not fill the band when it is put it, some will let you get used to it before they start the fill.  My surgeon for some reason started at 4.75cc in a 10cc band which was toooooo much for me!!  I was so bad when I went to the emergency room, it scares me now to think of it.  Once all liquid was removed, I was much better.  They told me I was swollen inside, they even gave me a shot of steroids to help reduce the swelling.  So, I assume most people are swollen after surgery, and if the band is too full of course there will be problems.  Three weeks now and I feel good.  Last night I made green chile stew with boiled potatoes and tomatoes.  I ate about 1/2 cup, it was great, I consider that a soup!!  I am still on soft foods, but I bet I could eat anything, cuz I feel so good, but I am not chancing it, not for at least 3 more weeks.  Talk to your doctor about an unfill, I bet you will feel much better, I did!!
Most Active