PLATEAU????? AFTER ONLY 5 WEEKS FROM SURGERY

SpikyP L.
on 9/12/11 7:52 am - NM

Its been only 5 weeks since surgery on August 9, 2011.  I have lost a total of 26 pounds from the first two weeks before surgery, to the first week after surgery that I was soooo sick.  Since August 16, 3 weks ago, I have not lost anything.  I have averaged only about 1125 calories per day,  Am I eating too much, or did I reach a plateau so early on????  I figure that in 3 weeks, 21 days I have saved 1000 a day, times 21 days, 21,000 calories divided by 3500...I should have lost 6 pounds.....and I haven't.  Do I need to cut down drastically to only 800 calories???  Most of the calories have come from protein drinks, yogurt, chicken, fake egg, and cheese.  Not very many carbs.  What should I do????

Nichole N.
on 9/12/11 8:46 am - Las Vegas, NV
Give it some time. It's ONLY been 5 weeks. Your body is adjusting to A LOT. You will most likely plateau many times throughout your journey. Stay away from the scale for a week or two, do your thing, and it will happen. Give it time.
heazer
on 9/12/11 8:47 am - Cary, NC
 Do you see a nutritionist?  My NUT suggests 800-900 calories a day once you start introducing foods again.  If you have a NUT, track what you are eating/drinking and when.  Send them an email so they can look over your food habits and maybe give you suggestions on what to tweak, or it you are right on track.
-Mari-
on 9/12/11 12:28 pm
I wonder if there is someone who has NOT had a plateau, mine was 3 weeks out. I knew I was eating the way my Dr recommended, the correct foods, the correct amount, was exercising. So figured it was my body adjusting. I knew I was doing everything I could do, it would come off, eventually, I lost most of my weigh the first 8 months. 86 lbs. Give your body a chance if the weight loss totally stops, go to Dr for his recommendations. Good luck.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
vlp1968
on 9/13/11 2:02 am
Sounds like you are doing great with your food choices. Are you excersising? Check with your doc., but I think he'll probably say your cleared. Start out slow and gradually increase your duration/intensity. I started out with a slow walk on the treadmill for 20 min. Now I jog for 30 or walk briskly on an incline for 45. It was soooo tough to get started but now it's a matter of routine. Best wishes.
4hmomwyo
on 9/13/11 2:10 am - Laramie, WY
If you haven't yet, take your measurements.  They are just as good (if not better) indicator of what your body is doing as a scale and when the scale doesn't budge, often times the measurements do.  It can be very reasurring to see a loss in measurment when the scale seems broken! ;)

JodiBoda
on 9/13/11 2:30 am - Butler, PA
I had my surgery August 10, and you've actually done better than I have!  Congrats!  I lost about 12 pounds the first week and then about 2 more the  next couple of weeks.  I stayed there until yesterday.  I got on the scale and finally lost a couple more.  What kept me going was reading here how common this is and how slow weight loss is with the band.  Our bodies are fickle, and so is the band.  The math doesn't always work out the way it's supposed to.  So...hang in there.  You'll break through eventually! 

Jodi

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."  ~ Helen Keller

Most Active