New here...just wanted to get some advice

chica904
on 9/21/11 3:46 am - Neptune Township, NJ

Hello everyone...my name is Melinda and I had the LapBand surgery in July 2009.  Since then I have lost 70lbs and I still have about 40 that I want to lose for my personal goal. 

I typically post on the pregnancy board since I have a baby this past April, but I feel that my question may be better answered by some members on this forum.  I had my band unfilled completely in november of last year due to not being able to eat much and needed a little more for the baby.  Well even with the fluid taken out, still could not eat. And that lasted throughout the pregnancy.  My surgeon said he would check it once I had the baby.  Fast foward to this past May...I had the band checked to see if it has slipped or anything by doing the barium xray testing and nothing.  The doctor said to see how it does and come back in 6mths.  I have no need for a fill obviously. So I have no fluid in my band, its not slipped or moved and I have restriction as if I do.  Has this happened to anyone else?? The surgeon said that "sometimes scar tissue can form around the stomach right underneath where the band is placed. Basically becoming its own band" I dont even know if that answer sounds right to me.  Either way, I can't eat much and I PB whatever I do eat.  At this point I dont know what to do...

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Starting Sleeve Weight (2/25/13) - 233

Current Weight (7/1/13) - 197

Goal Weight - 175

crystal M.
on 9/21/11 4:11 am - Joliet, IL
I have heard of this.  Scar tissue is tough and not very elastic.  So when scar tissue develops (and it will develop for all of us...some of us has more scar tissue than others) it could happen.  The only thing that would worry me is that even if you have the band removed will you still have trouble eating???  I did have a friend that had her band removed because she scar tissue that was not only on her stomach but on surrounding organs also. 

Maybe someone with this problem can shed some light on this issue for all of us.
Lisa O.
on 9/21/11 5:18 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Does your surgeon understand that you are regurgitating daily whatever you eat?  I can't believe he'd tell you to wait 6 months if  he knew.  I would ask him to run more tests to check his scar tissue theory and they ask him what next?  You need to get nutrition from solid food!

Be insistent, be honest about your frequent pb's.

Keep us posted.

Take care,
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Hislady
on 9/21/11 8:08 am - Vancouver, WA
I totally believe what he said because I believe that is what happened to me. My band kept feeling tighter the longer I had it even without fills and I finally had it emptied to avoid further problems and I still have decent restriction with no fill, actually it's the best I've ever had. I can eat healthy food now chicken and veggies that I couldn't  before. I am concerned about your daily PBing that's not good for you. Do you go on liquids only after a bad PB? That could help because constant PBing causes constant irritation around the band area, which cause swelling, which causes more PBs and it can become a vicious circle. Please don't wait the 6 mos if you are still PBing let your doc know it is happening daily because that isn't right. Good luck!
chica904
on 9/21/11 9:45 am - Neptune Township, NJ
 Thanks for the respones.  I havent gone back to liquids but I was thinking I should try that for a week.  Liquids is the worst lol...but i will try it.  Honestly I cant keep this up much more.  My gram is upset that I just cant eat, even the small amounts.  She keeps telling me she wants me to take it out and just live my life.  But i will definitely be honest with my surgeon and let him know how im feeling.  

Starting Sleeve Weight (2/25/13) - 233

Current Weight (7/1/13) - 197

Goal Weight - 175

Most Active