Heartburn again.....

Melanie D.
on 9/28/11 3:20 am
Six months ago had horrible heartburn and reflux! Had EGD and found ulcer, gastritis and duodenitis.  Had majority of my fluid taken out and put on meds to heal.... get to go in on the 7th to have a fill to try to get back to restriction.  Well the past 4 days and nights the heartburn is back and just as bad as before! I have been very careful to watch what I eat as in staying away from tomatoes and oj and acidic foods. Anyone ever had ulcers with the band? How long did it take to heal? Could this be the same one still or a new one?? Anyone ever just not been able to tolerate the band? I'm starting to seriously wonder if I should have it removed.  My body seems to be rebelling against it!!!
Lisa O.
on 9/28/11 4:30 am - Snoqualmie, WA
You can have reflux without having an ulcer.  I had a hyatal hernia repaired durin surgery and was fine for 2 years.  This year i started getting reflux again.  I am very sensitive to certain foods, tomato based product, coffee, chocolate, artificial citrus flavors, etc.  I will have another endoscopy in November to make sure it's not an ulcer but my last upper GI showed mild reflux without explaination.  Sucks!

Hang in there.  My surgeon said 20g of Prevacid a day won't hurt.

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Hislady
on 9/28/11 8:22 am - Vancouver, WA
The band itself can cause the heartburn even with no fill, just being there causes excess acid for some folks and yes quit often the only fix is revision. Sorry you have joined the ranks, take a look at the revision board and the failed band board for more info.
kathkeb
on 9/28/11 9:16 am
I was diagnosed with ulcers and esophagitis at the end of July (2 years post op).

I have been on Dexilant ever since -- I never really thought I had reflux -- but I have become much more aware of the subtle signs -- and it is still there.  What I used to just think of as 'sinus drainage' is actually reflux in the back of my throat.

I only had a very small unfill --- my pain is very much diminished -- and I go in for a follow up endoscopy on Friday.

When do you have another scope -- might want to do that before you get any more fluid.

Kath

Melanie D.
on 9/28/11 10:33 am
Thanks for the responses! They do not have me scheduled for another scope yet but I meet with my doctor on October 7th to talk about everything and to hopefully figure something out!

Thanks again!!

Mel
Grider
on 9/30/11 9:04 am - Clearwater, FL
I am pre-op have hiatai hernia, acid and candida. weee,,, so now what?  Takings pills for the candida and reflux but hoping repair of  hernia and weight loss would releive me of the reflux. My view of it I have NO stomach. From my breast, to my belly button is 5 inches. I am 4-10 and over 200 lbs, so where is it all to go?  Praying WLS is still in  the plans!
Most Active