Surgery pending, waiting on insurance.

horseychick
on 10/18/11 6:08 am
I am actually having the Realize band, but those forums seem kind of dead.

I was going to ask what to expect as far as down time from work, exercise, etc.

I am reading a lot of the negative experiences with banding and getting a bit nervous, but my doctor doesn't want to do a sleeve for me.  I am currently 227 and he thinks the realize band is safer.

I am nervous and reading the anti-band posts is making it worse. :( 
(deactivated member)
on 10/18/11 6:47 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
Slow down and get a second opinion.  If you want the sleeve, get the sleeve.  You are the one who will live with the surgery, not the doctor.
Hislady
on 10/18/11 9:03 am - Vancouver, WA
Please I'm begging you find another doctor who will listen to what you want! The band has been an absolute nightmare for many of us. It is NOT what the manufacturers or docs say it is. It is a success for very few and even they will admit they had to work extraordinarily hard to get the weight off. (Except Kate but we love her anyway!) In all honesty the majority of us do ok for the first year then the problems start and they never end until the band is either emptied or they revise to another surgery. With mine I only lost 20 lbs the first year and that was it, then the 2nd year it started the tightening even without a fill. Finally a few months ago after several unfills I had it completely unfilled. I couldn't take anymore of the horrid reflux and pain everytime I ate. I would rather stay fat than endure the suffering with a lapband. You should have the surgery you want! I think many docs do the band knowing they will make more money again when you have to come in for a revision. As far as the band goes-just say NO!!!! I wish you the best/
horseychick
on 10/18/11 10:11 am
 Is it really that bad?
I was worried about the recovery time of a sleeve....my surgeon only ever did 15. :/

Nic M
on 10/18/11 11:19 am
It WAS really that bad. I thought, "Well, if something goes awry, I'll just have the band removed." 

Famous last words. Arrgh. I came out of Recovery in the most massive pain I've ever experienced. I went into shock and I don't even remember the first couple of weeks after banding other than pain-pain-pain-pain.

Turns out, the band was placed so incorrectly that it damaged my diaphragm severely, causing my stomach to twist, intestines to kink and I came about a day from death's door. It was AWFUL, HORRIBLE, INCREDIBLE, HORRIFIC. I can't even begin to start to describe the amount of pain involved, seriously.

I had the band removed about 6+ years ago. I still have lingering pain from the damage.

I STRONGLY encourage you to look into finding another form of WLS. I've watched friends go through similar experiences since 2002 and I just can't understand why the band is even still recommended, honestly. For SO many people, it's a temporary fix for obesity and a way to permanently damage your body.

I know, it's hard to read all the bad stuff and I swear, I don't mean to be a jerk and scare you. It's important to KNOW all of the facts, though.  Good luck to you.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Mell
on 10/18/11 11:51 pm
I agree with everyone on the fact that you should be able (after all your research) choose which WLS option you want. Or ask your doctor why he thinks the band will work better for me.

I have had the band for 4+ years now and just had it replaced, I had a bad doc originally and should have had it replaced after my slip. Then he did not reclip it properly and I had to have that fixed. I know that my slip was my fault, I can clearly remember over eating! Stuffing my face with way too much food in one sitting. But it happens and it is hard work, especially in the begining with no restriction. But I love my band it limits the quantity of food I can eat and I have no restrictions on what I can eat, there are things that just dont go down well, pork for me. But overall I love my band and refuse to live without it.

I know a lot of people have issues with the band, some caused by themselves, and some that it seems their bodies just got angry when they put it in and they had to pay for it. It is unfortunate but I think with any surgery where you alter your body you run the risk of your body rejecting what you did to it.

Good luck and do not let any Doctor force you into any surgery you are not 100% sure about!  They are human just like us and can make mistakes, but you have to live with it not them...

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

horseychick
on 10/19/11 12:05 am
 After looking into it further, my insurance won't cover the sleeve, only a band, because of my weight.
(I am 227).  I can't afford to pay for it out of pocket.

I also thought the band was faster recovery, so that would be less work (and horseback riding) missed.

I am admittedly a little afraid by the posts from people who hate the band, though.
Nic M
on 10/19/11 2:22 am

Dr. Chua is a good doctor, at least. One of my friends had lapband surgery with him back in 2003. She also had tremendous pain from the band... but it wasn't due to anything Dr. Chua did.

If you really feel that the band is the way to go, I wish you the best.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

horseychick
on 10/19/11 2:24 am
 I will definitely put more thought into it.

He likes the Realize band, he claims it is more comfortable and less likely to slip.
Nic M
on 10/19/11 2:40 am
Most Active