Lap band woes...

Hopeful4Health
on 11/4/11 4:05 am
 So I knew something was wrong 2-weeks ago when I sudden began vomiting every time I ate, but I didn't know how bad it could get. I went on a trip to Paris with my boyfriend and after one day began vomiting profusely, mostly water (which felt stabbing every time I drank) and large amounts of blood and stomach acid. After about 36 hours of this we decided to fond a hospital in Paris. I went through ER vomiting Non stop with staff who didn't speak English. They were about to discharge me when
I pointed to my port and said water can't go in, it's too tight. Within 1 hour a bariatric surgeon and his team arrived. They did a barium swallow and confirmed my band slipped and was now vertical. The dr then removed the saline from the band and did another barium swallow, no change still terribly blocked and now acid was building with barium to be thrown up. This was the worst pain in my life. The dr and another bariatric surgeon said it was far too slipped to repair and that there was almost no scar tissue formation. Within 5 hours I was having emergency surgery to have it removed.

Not sure how I feel but I know I've got a mutilated body now for only4 months of band use...at least I'm not sick anymore...

Banded: 06/17/2011
Height: 5'7"

Hislady
on 11/4/11 11:35 am - Vancouver, WA
I'm so sorry for you and a band should most definately last longer than 4 mos. You are fortunate there isn't much scar tissue because then you can hopefully revise to a different surgery with out the difficulty that can bring. I think I would contact your original surgeon and see what they have to say.
I have to say it seems the hospitals in Paris are very good. My daughter who was pregnant started spotting on a trip and they took wonderful care of her. She got antsy and wanted to leave before she should and they told her they would pull her passport if she tried to leave before they were satisfied she was ready. They didn't want to jeopardize her baby's safety. Plus it cost her nothing!
Nic M
on 11/4/11 1:28 pm
I am so so sorry. What a horrible thing to go through. I'm glad you found a doctor to help you when you did. Having that bad of a slip can be horribly dangerous! I wish you the best and hope you heal well.

Take care,
Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Lifebeauty
on 11/4/11 9:51 pm
Sorry about your band slip but happy that you got good care in Paris.  Wish you the best in whatever decision you make regarding your weightloss care.
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

DonnaMaria
on 11/5/11 7:13 am
My sister got very ill in France and they took wonderful care of her. I am so sorry to hear about your band. I have a leak and am having mine replaced on Tuesday. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I wish you luck and hope you have a new weight loss procedure really soon.
MARIA F.
on 11/6/11 1:17 pm - Athens, GA

Sometimes things can go wrong with the band very quickly (although it usually seems to be just a few years out). I've known of bands to have to be removed at 1-2 months out. Some ppl just never have a chance with them. :-(

Did Dr. Aceves try to talk you into VSG instead of band? As far as I know he rarely does bands anymore b/c of all the band complicatons that seem to occur.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active