A dose of realism.

Kate -True Brit
on 11/7/11 9:04 pm, edited 11/7/11 9:15 pm - UK
 Every now and then I feel compelled to post a thread like this. Sorry to those who gave seen it before - just pass on!

The band is an implant which makes a narrow passage near the top of the stomach. ALL it does (when working fully) is make food pass through more slowly thereby making it easier for us to stop eating and helping us to keep hunger at bay for a few hours after a meal.

It does not stop us eating fattening foods, in fact they are often the easiest to eat.
It does not stop us absorbing all the calories we eat.
It does not help with head hunger.
It does not stop us grazing.

This means that weight loss is still basically down to us. The band just makes it easier for us to do.
It also means that loss is no faster than on any diet programme like Weigh****chers.

For many of us, that is all we need to succeed with weight loss. But if you are considering surgery, be aware that you will need to do the work. If you are newly banded, don't expect rapid, easy loss.

I love my band - it has changed my life for over five years. But it is not for everyone.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Tarris
on 11/7/11 9:55 pm
Thank you for the reminder.  It is always welcome...well to me anyway

Easternshoregrl
on 11/7/11 11:34 pm - MD
Yep, my constant battle.....

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

monymony
on 11/7/11 11:46 pm
Hi Kate, It never hurts to go over this again. Sometimes we have unrealistic expectations with WLS. This is NOT the quick or easy fix. I am almost 10 years out and it is not eas. You have to stay focused.  Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

Unicornbeauty
on 11/8/11 12:42 am
 Thanks for posting this! I was newly banded and I knew it was not going to be an easy fix. I want to repost this as my facebook status because everyone wants to compare me to their friends who didn't succeed with the band.

I have already made my life change (including loosing 50 lbs on my own) by choosing to look at everything I eat, choosing to watch my calories for the rest of my life and to start getting excited about exercize. The band for me is just a tool and a reminder that I will always have to be mindful of what I'm putting in my mouth for the rest of my life.
Pepper

Blog: http://pepperscraps.com/ 
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/pepperscraps  

MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Kate -True Brit
on 11/9/11 1:49 am - UK
 Pepper, sure you didn't  mean it this way, but just in case! If you put it on Facebook,and you are welcome to  cut and paste it, make sure my name is removed!

Thanks.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Unicornbeauty
on 11/9/11 6:08 am
 Nah, though it is tempting. But I'm sure I will quote you when I talk to people who ask me. :)
Pepper

Blog: http://pepperscraps.com/ 
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/pepperscraps  

MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thundergrrrl
on 11/8/11 1:00 am
Thanks Kate! I've only been frequenting the board the past few days due to my plastics recovery situation but I'm already close to virtually strangling the next person who asks why they have "stalled" 5 days after surgery or why they aren't magically 10 lbs lighter 1 day after their first fill.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Jean M.
on 11/8/11 3:43 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Wait! Wait! Do you mean that I won't wake up in the recovery room at my goal weight?! I've been robbed!

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

prek-3
on 11/8/11 5:48 am - Hollywood, FL
BRAVO Kate!!!!!
Well said! It also is not a race or "diet" its supose to be a "lifestyle"!I am 4 years out, and I still have to remind myself that its just a "TOOL"!
prek3
carmen

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

Most Active