Exercise Road Block

Easternshoregrl
on 11/7/11 11:32 pm - MD
I was so enjoying getting back into my walking again. I had an injury in May while walking too long in flip flops. I nursed my ankle/heel pain until I was able to do my 2 mile daily walk again. The pounds have been creeping up on me this past year. My company had a walk/run event on Oct 31. I participated. The warm ups were jumping jacks, stretching, etc. The jumping jacks brought my injury back to rear its ugly head. Crutches for 3 days before I was able to walk flat on it. Went to the Dr, and she said I needed a podiatrist. Another week gone by, icing my ankle, hobbling around.
Went to the podiatrist yesterday to find I have 2 bone spurs. One on the bottom of my heel and one in the back aggrivating my achillies tendon. THAT was my pain.
I have to REDUCE my activity by 50% amongst other things. I am in panic. I'm trying to keep the pounds at bay because my head is controlling my eating. Now I am so upset, which triggers my eating. I had just started the couch to 5K and now I will never be able to do it.

Thanks for listening to me vent. I'm feeling hopeless.

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

Lisa O.
on 11/8/11 1:56 am - Snoqualmie, WA
First of all, love your new Avitar!  You look great!

I'm sorry to hear about your injury.  I had terrible heel spurs before I lost all of my weight and I'm amazed that they are actually gone.  I never thought they could be reversed so dramatically.  So, take heart!  They will get better.  I don't know what your doctor advised, but here's what I recommend.  Wear really good, supportive walking shoes, always.  Flip-flops and other backless shoes are the worst for spurs and faciatis.  Ice, ice, ice!  I used a wrist wrap ice pack and any time I sat down I would ice.  Anti-inflamatories also help, but I did have to resort to Cortisone shots in my heels when I had to be on my feet a lot for work.  It really made a difference in my mobility.

Please try to not let it derail your exercise efforts.  There are other things you can do that are less impact like swimming, water aerobics, circuit weights, eliptical, bicycle, etc.  I understand you're a walker and that has worked well for you, but you must give your feet time to heal.  And, of course, the more weight you lose the better it will be for your spurs.

You've done so well on your WL journey.  Don't let this set-back defeat you!

You can do this!

Hang in there,

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Easternshoregrl
on 11/8/11 4:40 am - MD
Thank you for your kind reply and encouragement. I have a Rx for ibuprophen and I do have to ice it and do stretches every morning before I get out of bed. I've been looking for a second hand exercise bike. I bought a second hand elliptical but it was horrible. Not like the ones at the gym I used to belong to. I just had to whine a bit. It's so frustrating.

JG

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

Most Active