Dented rainbows and roses.

Kate -True Brit
on 11/8/11 6:02 pm, edited 11/8/11 8:14 pm - UK
 I am well aware that some people see me as a rainbows and roses apologist for the band!  I'm not!  As anyone *****ally reads my posts knows! So i am going to correct some information I gave just a few days ago, very sad that I need to!

I said that I had personally met, face to face, 29 banded people. One had her band  removed for non band related reasons,the rest were all happy!

Well, very sadly, I learned yesterday that one of the first I met, banded over five and a half years ago, is about to have her band removed due to severe heartburn and a slip. I am very sad for her, she is wonderfully slim but fears she won't  stay that way.

I do NOT blame the bandster for all problems, but this friend believes her problems were due to trying to appear " normal " in a full social life; she regularly joined in social occasions, eating like those around her, leaving the table to be sick, returning to eat again. She feels she pushed things too far, she knows she stretched the area above the band. A lesson for us all perhaps. I don't criticise her - we have eating disorders and wls can't solve all of those.

But whatever the cause, her band is coming out. 

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Jean M.
on 11/8/11 11:30 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Sad story, Kate.

I have to be vigilant about my eating behavior because I'm afraid I could end up like your friend. My tendency is to accept maladaptive behavior as my new "normal" in my anxiety to maintain my new lifestyle as a "normal" person.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Lisa O.
on 11/9/11 12:09 am - Snoqualmie, WA
"My tendency is to accept maladaptive behavior as my new "normal" in my anxiety to maintain my new lifestyle..."

Very interesting statement Miss Jean!  I agree with you completely and know this is true for me.  I wonder how many of us out there have adopted the same behaviors and just never thought of it as such?

As usual you've given me something to think about AND you've hit upon a wonderful writing assignment for yourself!  Get on it, would you?  Just fit it in between post cast script writing, dog feedings, the holiday rush at JCP and cooking for Mr. P!

Good one my friend!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Jean M.
on 11/9/11 8:40 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Oh yeah, another writing assignment. Just what I need.

But...you're right...and it's going on my to-do list.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Lisa O.
on 11/9/11 12:18 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Dear Polly Anna Kate,

I for one love your sunny outlook and positive approach to life in general.  You and I are a part of the truly blessed bandsters that have experienced great results with very few issues at all.  I know we are both thankful for our good fortune.

I also appreciate that you are willing to come here and update and clarify your statements eventhough you don't have to defend yourself to us at all!  You simply care enough about accuracy to take the extra time to share with all of us your personal learnings to help us on our individual journeys.

You're an amazing individual and asset to this board.  Thank you Kate for your steadfast dedication!  I appreciate you!

Your Polly Anna friend,

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Kate -True Brit
on 11/9/11 1:11 am - UK
 Aw, shucks!  ( Please note, I am becoming truly bilingual!!)

Thundergrrrl
on 11/9/11 10:49 am
Can we have an exclusive club for optimistic pollyannas? We can call it the Rainbows and Puppy Dogs club!

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Kate -True Brit
on 11/9/11 5:17 pm - UK
 We did! It was called  the Pollyanna Club - i started it but I stole the Pollyanna name from JeanM. What happened was, we Pollyannas showed sympathy and support for those with problems, but everytime someone posted a the- band- is #%*^  thread, one or more of us would start a new, separate, positive thread.  Not to denigrate or deny anyone's suffering. Just to show that there truly is another, positive side to being banded.

Feel free to reinvigorate the club!

Kate

twoxover
on 11/9/11 8:06 pm - waterford, NJ
i wanna join!  
Betsey

twoxover
on 11/9/11 4:20 am - waterford, NJ
Kate-
thank you so much for writing about this, and for the reasons for the band removal.  For new to the bandster life, it's an important bit of education (at least for me it is!)

and, I so admire your sunny outlook. 
betsey

Betsey

Most Active