chest pain.... 2 months post op

thiknena19
on 12/7/11 3:39 am - bronx, NY
im almost 3 months post op and for the last week i been experiencing some chest pain. Its on my left side closer to the middle of my chest. Should i be worried? i do have a history of chest pain but once i breath in and out it would be gone but not this time around!!! 
also should i be able to drink and not sip my liquids?

Nic M
on 12/7/11 4:08 am
OK, THIS is what I've been talking about until I'm blue in the face. The left side referred pain that happens SO often it's become predictable.

It's from your diaphragm being irritated by the band, the tubing, air in your gut, any of the above.

It's really common with banding. The longer it goes on, the more likely it is to become permanent.

Good luck. Hope it goes away. I'd talk to your doctor, for sure, though. Take it from someone who has gone through it... it CAN get worse.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

thiknena19
on 12/7/11 5:16 am - bronx, NY
i will mention it my next visit in 3 weeks.

i read your story very scary so i will pay attention to what is going on.

thank you

Nic M
on 12/7/11 5:27 am
I hope it's a temporary thing for you. But, if your doctor tells you that it's not "band related," please consider getting a second opinion. My doctor led me to believe that it was "in my head" and I should just not worry about it. This put me at risk and caused a lot more damage. Sometimes the tests don't show what's really going on. Please save yourself from ongoing pain and damage.

Good luck to you. I hope you get an answer.

NanaB.
on 12/7/11 4:43 am, edited 12/7/11 4:43 am
Usually early out most bandsters experience some type of diaphragm pain due to the surgical technique the surgeon used, which is a good sign they used the recommend approach "PARS FLACCIDA which sutures your band to your stomach to greatly reduce band slippage and you are still healing so you may want to talk to your surgeon on your next visit.

Also it could be unrelated to your band and if it persist you may want to follow up with your PCP, any frequent chest pain should be examined by your doctor.

I experienced diaphragm and sporadic shoulder pains while I was healing also, I got relief with liquid Tylenol and a heat pad, but please discuss this with your doctor if it persist, hope you feel better!
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

thiknena19
on 12/7/11 5:39 am - bronx, NY
thank u i will

Kate -True Brit
on 12/7/11 4:59 am - UK
 Regular chest pain should be checked out. Whether or not us band related.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Nic M
on 12/7/11 5:04 am
Here you go.

See where the band sits on the top portion of the stomach?

Then there's the Vagus nerves that get highly affected by the band's presence. Or if not the band itself, the pressure from the top portion of the stomach pressing against the diaphragm, where the Vagus nerves are. This causes a LOT of people to have referred left shoulder pain, amongst other complications.

Here's an interesting piece about the Vagus nerve. And there's just no way to explain HOW MUCH damage the band can do in regard to this.

http://www.wellsphere.com/brain-health-article/love-your-vag us-nerve/1089260

For example: 

I got the band, it damaged my diaphragm immediately. I suffered with horrible and chronic referred left shoulder pain for years due to that damage. Even after band removal, it's still there. The diaphragm and its nerves take ridiculously long to heal. The Vagus nerves being damaged caused a reaction called, "machine gun sneezing." If I moved wrong, did crunches, bent over, etc. I would be thrown into a sneezing fit that would last for hours and hours until I passed out from not being able to breathe.

thiknena19
on 12/7/11 5:43 am - bronx, NY
thank you. i will discuss with my surgeon the posibilities of this happening. I had alot of shoulder pain when i was 1-2 weeks post op and it went away-thank god!!! like i said will keep and eye on this chest pain.

thank you guys for the responses

Dev *.
on 12/7/11 10:20 pm - Austin, TX
Could also be your gallbladder. I never had the typical gallbladder symptoms, just intense pain right below my sternum, radiating all the way through to my back. Regardless, you should not have pain, so you need to talk to your doctor.If you're having to carefully sip liquids, you are probably too tight.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Most Active