hair thinning/loss

thiknena19
on 1/4/12 3:58 am - bronx, NY

Notice some hair thinning and hair loss over the past 2 weeks and was very surprise because i though with the band you are not support to suffer from this.
HELP!!!!!

deboralbtn
on 1/4/12 4:22 am - FL

My surgery was about 2 months before yours and I've been having this problem for about a month now.  My Dr. suggested biotin, but, I haven't gotten to the store to purchase it yet.  (There's an earlier post regarding it.)  I've also been told to increase protein, which I've done.  My hair loss seems to be slowing down, which is good!  I have VERY thick hair so it hasn't really hurt me to lose a little.  My hairdresser even said so.  LOL  I'm just worried that when it starts growing back it'll be sticking up everywhere!  Good luck!

Debbie

deboralbtn
on 1/4/12 4:23 am - FL
Oops, I was a month before you.
Evelyn M.
on 1/4/12 5:38 am - United Kingdom
 don't worry- it will stop again :) I had quite a lot of hair loss, which was not so much fun as I have quite thin hair anyway. I had my surgery in March, and now in December I started seeing that it gets better, so hang in there :)
Roll on weight loss!

kathkeb
on 1/4/12 6:33 am
it has nothing to do with the band -- it is a side effect from having been under anesthesia

usually about 3 - 4 months post anesthesia, you will notice some hair loss ---- it is temporary
your body was shocked a few months ago -- and is recovering.

some people add biotin, or extra protein --- I just rode it out and about 3 weeks after I started to notice it, it reversed and my hair is thicker than ever now
Kath

peggyann5
on 1/10/12 11:28 am
I don't understand when people say the hair loss and thinning comes from the anesthesia. Is this surgery different from others as far as the anesthesia goes, I have had my gall bladder out and a Hysterrectomy and I didn't have hair loss then. This part scares me as my hair is thin now.

kathkeb
on 1/10/12 12:42 pm
Peggy,
You can google 'telogen effluvium'.......it explains the phenomenon of hairless associated with any type of stress or trauma.

Nit everyone experiences it, but it is common .....and temporary.

My hair was thin before surgery and then I lost some at about 4 months post op and it came back thicker and healthier than ever.
Kath

rebecca110
on 1/5/12 12:15 am - Milledgeville, GA
I had my lap band surgery 1/4/2011.  After about two months I began to loose lots of hair when I brushed it.  This was a concern of everyone in my bariatric group at about that time.  Around six months, the hair loss stopped and it all grew back.  Since I had lots of hair in the beginning, it was not a great concern to me. 

Just eat your protein, take your vitamins etc. and it should be fine in a few more months.

Often people loose hair this way after any surgery involving anesthesia.
thiknena19
on 1/8/12 10:47 pm - bronx, NY
WILL HANG IN THERE AND SEE IF IT STOPS SOON MEAN WHILE I EAT ALOT MORE PROTEIN BUT THE WEIGHT LOSS HAS DECREASED :/ I HATE HOW THIN MY HAIR LOOKS NOW UGH WILL HAVE TO JUST WAIT..
THANX GUYS

Most Active