Moved to new state.

MARY ANN M.
on 1/14/12 1:06 am - Las Vegas, NV
I moved to Southern Florida in April 2011.  I had my band put in in Las Vegas, NV.  I have had a few Dr's try to request my records from my band Surgeon and they will not provide.  I know this is a FOIA violation but they just won't reply.  Also I am unable to get an adjustment done with out laying out $300-500 up front.  I understand the visit charges of $135 - 165. But why should I have to pay so much up front?  I can't afford it and I haven't been followed for my band since July of 2010, no adjustments or anything.  Thank God the only problem I've had is a 12 lb weight gain in that period of time and the only one at fault for that is me. Oh and I've had a little reflux that is helped with OTC Prevacid daily. So I do consider myself lucky for that.  My new insurance won't cover the f/u's so I expect to pay for each visit. I just can't come up with $300 ( for a fill center ) or $500 for a Bariatric Surgeon.  I am in the Fort Lauderdale area and any suggestions or recommendations to a Dr. who will work with me is greatly appreciated.  As I said, they all want the full amount up front.
Thank you!
Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Nic M
on 1/14/12 1:32 am
The only doc in Florida who I know personally is Dr. Michael Baptista. He used to be one of my docs in Chicago and helped me immensely with the complications from the lapband. However, he's in Jacksonville, if I'm not mistaken.   But, maybe if you were to contact his office, they could point you in the direction of a good doc in Fort Lauderdale? 

I wish I could help you more. I hope you can get it all figured out.
~Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

MARY ANN M.
on 1/14/12 2:07 am - Las Vegas, NV
Thank you Nicci, I will look in to it.
Mary Ann

Mary Ann

sesmith
on 1/14/12 8:41 am
 I would look for support groups in your area, attend them, and meet the staff of the local docs. There is a lot of medical fraud in south fl, I live in central fl and read about it all the time. Make friends first, and the rest will follow. 
Dev *.
on 1/14/12 10:37 am - Austin, TX
 It isn't a FOIA violation, it's a HIPPAA violation. There are laws that govern how quickly a doctors office must supply copies of records to you or to another doctor. here is the relevant information for Nevada: http://medicalrecordrights.georgetown.edu/stateguides/nv/nvguide2.html

I would suggest mailing your next request to send your records on a standard form (any doctors office can supply one to you) and sending it certified mail. Be specific. Tell them that you expect that your new doctor will receive your H&P, most recent office visit note, and any recent labs by fax (these are what most docs want before seeing you) within 7 days. Specify that you expect that the remainder of your full record will be mailed to your new doctor within 30 days. Include a letter referencing the fact that failure to provide your records within 30 days will leave you with no choice but to file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for violation of your HIPAA rights. If they fail to provide them, follow through and make the complaint.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

MARY ANN M.
on 1/16/12 1:52 am - Las Vegas, NV
Thank you Dev*  I will do that.
Mary Ann

Mary Ann

stephp77
on 1/18/12 2:11 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
I agree with Dev*. Definitely follow up on making a complaint if they don't do it.

Also I have every medical record of mine since the day I was born. I started doing that about 10-12 years ago when I worked in a law office and was trying to request records for people and they couldn't remember who they saw or the doctor no longer had them (records were too old). I decided to get mine in case anything happens and my history was needed. I just request the previous years every January. This came in handy with me when I moved to a new state in October. I brought my own copy of pre-op stuff, surgery records, and follow ups for them to copy. It saved TONS of time. Plus I do look back once in a while to see how things have progressed - weight, blood sugars/a1c, etc.

Stephanie
Sioux Falls, SD

Height:  5'5.5"; Beginning weight 253
Educational seminar - 09/05/07; First consult - 09/17/07; Insurance rec'd submission - 10/01/07; Insurance approved - 10/05/07; Surgery - 11/21/07 (253 pounds of the morning of surgery); Mini goal met of down to 225 - 12/23/07.

MARY ANN M.
on 1/20/12 2:17 am - Las Vegas, NV
I have found a Surgical group that will not charge an up front fee and will only charge me the out of network co-pay of my insurance.  YAY I see them the 26th of this month and I can't wait!!

Mary Ann

Nic M
on 1/20/12 2:21 am
That's good news, Mary Ann. I hope it all works out well for you.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

MARY ANN M.
on 1/20/12 11:22 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Thank you, I think it will.  I am so ready to get back on track!

Mary Ann

Most Active