Hi everyone! Seeking info for my mom

ladydi1970
on 1/22/12 7:05 am - GA
I have encouraged her to join here for herself... baby steps.

I know everyone is going to see my signature line, and think I'm being a troll, or am going to bash people.  You have my word, THAT IS NOT THE CASE.

My mom just turned 68 this past Christmas and is about 100 lbs over weight.  She is in pretty good health, other than her knees hurt all the time.

She's been thinking about lap band, she feels the DS, and GB would be too much on her. (She wiped my butt for me after both surgeries, and cared for me.  So she seen what I went through both times and doesn't want to do either).

Anyway, she's always ALWAYS been very supportative to me, so now, it's my turn.

Her doc seems to think that he can get medicare to pay for lap band.

Her goal is to get where she can go shopping with me all day again, and not be on a scooter by the 3rd store.  She lost her sister a couple of years ago, and people keep telling her "you look just like her" and that really bothers her, as her sister was about 300 lbs, with multiple health problems.

So I will be lurking, and asking questions.  I just wanted to introduce myself, and give you my word that I'm not trying to BS anyone.  I just want to find out as much as I can, and be just as informed on "her surgery" as I was on mine.... both times.

Oh...she lives in Central Florida.

If anyone has questions for me, please ask privately.  I am not here to try to convert anyone.  LIKE AT ALL... I just want info. 

Please, everyone...I promise it's all about my mom.

Love and hugs!

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

MARIA F.
on 1/22/12 7:18 am - Athens, GA

If she's not interested in RNY or DS then what about VSG? I have the band and wouldn't wi**** on my worst enemy! I wouldn't want your mom to end up like me. 17 fills and no restriction.

Btw.........where in GA?

FormerlyFluffy.com

ladydi1970
on 1/22/12 7:32 am - GA
Powder Springs, about 20 mins due west on I-20 from Atlanta.

And mom doesn't want her stomach opened up.  I know it probably could be done lap, but she's just not wanting it. 

Ok, I'm just going to say it....my dad is awsome, but he is not a care giver.  Like at all.  He'll be ok for about a week, but then, well, he's just not a care giver.  And I could only be there for about a week. 

What I'd really like to happen is that they both get it done.  For both of them to learn a new way of eating.

I need both my parents around for a long long time.

I'm not going to try to talk her out of it.  That's not my goal.  I just want her to be 100% informed.

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

MARIA F.
on 1/23/12 10:23 am - Athens, GA

I'm in Athens now. I lived in Marietta in the 90's.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Iam_with_the_Band
on 1/22/12 8:59 am
I think it's wonderful that you're helping your Mom!  I have been a very successful bander and I think the LapBand works wonders  for some people.  I totally understand not wanting your stomach opened up.  The LapBand isn't easy, but it can work.  I think a lot of the problems with the Band come from surgeons who place them. 

I had to stay the night of my surgery because I have Malignant Hyperthermia.  I went home the next day and did fairly well with my daughter there in the evenings only (she went to school everyday) -  My post op diet was liquids, then fulls and softs... so on, so there is not a lot of cooking or prep work involved in your meals. She should do fine, if you set her up with lots of things she can get to easily.

Your mom is welcome to PM me or you are welcome to PM me, anytime.  I will answer what I ccan.  I've had my LapBand for almost 4 years and I have lost almost all of my excess weight!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

sesmith
on 1/22/12 9:06 am
 Your mom is welcome to PM me also. I live in Central Florida, near Daytona Beach. I could help her with doctors or just talk. I'm 56 so we might have a lot in common. I'm 6 years out and very happy with this decision.
Hislady
on 1/22/12 10:18 am - Vancouver, WA

OK I know you can't change mom's mind but please let her know that if she can't exercise the band is most likely not going to work for her. I followed every rule and reg about the band, I ate 800-1000 calories a day and ate healthy food. Yet I only lost about 40# and then gained 10 of that back. I honestly think if your mom can't exercise that the band won't help her. The VSG is more like the band as far as recovery goes, more like a couple of weeks but there are some who have gone back to work by then too. Frankly I tended to my own personal hygiene with no problems and was pretty much back to normal within 2 weeks. From what I've read VSG is much the same. I just don't want her to go thru surgery only to end up as dissappointed as I am, after working so hard! I wish her the best! I'd also be glad to answer any questions she might have.

kathkeb
on 1/22/12 10:33 am
I live in Tucson and we have many retires in our band support group.
Honestly, not many of them have reached their "goal" weights, but they have done well and increased their health by leaps and bounds.

You mom may be complete satisfied with losing 1/2 to 2/3 of her excess weight and gaining some stamina and mobility ..... That would be a major accomplishment.

I think she should attend local support groups while investigating her options .... And then make her own decision.
She should be grateful to have you on her side.

My band was a wonderful choice for me. I never expected it to stop me from eating ... Or really to restrict me, I hoped that it would let me take a small amount of quality food and let that be enough......and that is exactly what I got.

I could probably eat anything .... I just don't.

131 pound weight loss, changed (and probably saved) my life.
Kath

Regnu
on 1/23/12 6:26 am
Medicare will not pay for Sleeve.  Only lap band and bypass. 
(deactivated member)
on 1/23/12 8:06 am
I don't know where in Central Fl your mom is, Dr Jawad has been doing this for a long time. I would suggest a consultation and get professional input on what WLS is advised

http://www.jawadmd.com/index.html
Most Active