lap band roll call

almaz
on 2/21/12 3:09 am - North Haledon, NJ
So I was on Facebook and  saw the Lap Band Roll Call for pre and post ops.  I had my surgery in October 2008.  Lost 112 pounds.  Went from size 24 to size 10.  Only had one issue with something being "stuck."  I have gained back 10 pounds and have struggled to lose this regain.  I have been trying to lose it for the past year.  I have a couple of good weeks, but then some old grazing habits and poor food choices creep back in.  I still work out 3 days a week and one of those days is with a personal trainer, so my workouts are always changing.  I love my new life since the band and do not regret the decision.  I do get frustrated when people see me who haven't seen me in a while and they say I look great, how did you lose it?  When I say I had the band done, they sometimes take a step back.  Like I took the easy way out.  This was not an easy decision and it was not an easy recovery.  I did suffer a blood clot 10 days after surgery and had to have a second surgery to put a filter in to prevent further clots from reaching the lungs/heart,  Looking back, loosing the weight with the band was the easy part....keeping it off and maintianing is the real hard work.
vlp1968
on 2/21/12 3:57 am
I too am dealing with regain. I lost 107 pounds in about 10 months (I was banded 11/9). I have regained about 30 pounds. Can't seem to put more than a few good days together. You are right I feel the same way- loosing was exciting and easy, maintaince is the hard part. I have come to realize it will be a life long battle for me.
minnie_cat
on 2/21/12 6:17 am
I am almost two months post op and not sure yet how I will answer that question. My experience thus far is there are judgemental and negative people and while few and far between, I'd rather not put up with it. Last week I got my hair cut and the stylist (whom I hadn't seen in 6 months) made a comment about my weight loss (compliment). When he asked me how I did it, I said, I eat less and am much more active. All of which is true. Close friends know but I don't feel the need to tell everyone. As we all know, it's a tool ...not a cure. Don't let their feedback (verbal or not) diminish what you've accomplished and risked to get where you are.

crystal M.
on 2/21/12 9:50 am, edited 2/21/12 9:50 am - Joliet, IL
I will be three years out next month.  Although, I have about 50 more lbs I am still actively working on I am very happy with my decision.  I was 354 lbs and now I am 202 lbs.  I was a size 30 and now I am a size 16.  I started a rigid exercise program about 18 months ago.  I exercise 60-90 minutes a day 6 days a week.  My exercise includes cardio, weights, and stretching.  I started barely able to walk for 30 minutes and I was full of sweat.  I am now running...in fact next month I am running a 5K!!!!  To me this is success.  I might not be down to the weight I want to be yet but I am healthy and I can move!!! 

I haven't had any problems...knock on wood!!!!  I have been able to lower my blood pressure to normal, my cholesterol to normal (my doctor said it was due to all my exercise) and my periods are normal again (I had very heavy irregular periods).  I haven't had any issues with regain either...just trying to get rid of the last 50...but I'm thinking that I'm hitting the weights a little too hard and I'm gaining muscle.  But oh well.  A hard body is better than a gushy one.  And I'm 5'9" so 200 isn't so bad on me...

As far as people acting like I don't work hard for my weight loss....if they do I don't care.  I notice the ones that do act like that are out of shape and over weight and are just jealous...so screw them....  If they think I took the easy way out let them beat me at a race...last one there is a rotten egg!!!! 

As you can see I am loving my new life so much I don't let anyone rain on my parade!!!!
almaz
on 2/21/12 10:28 am - North Haledon, NJ
Thanks everyone for your kind words.  I have to remember that all I have accomplished is not about other people's approval, but doing what was/is right for me. 
Most Active