Why the Band???

mikedaddy
on 3/24/12 11:56 am - FL
 I am considering wls and I was wondering  why you chose banding over other forms of surgery?  Are you happy with the band or do you wish you did something else in hindsight?

Thanks,

Mike
Jo 1962
on 3/24/12 12:19 pm - NearHouston, TX
 Hi Mike! Congrats on taking the first step toward WLS.  I researched all the options and the band was the best choice for me.  I had over 20+ surgeries not related to WLS , whi*****luded a major staph infection that nearly killed me.  I was not anxious to undergo any rearranging my insides and increasing my risks for further infections since very few antibiotics work for me anymore.

i did not want the Rny for that reason as well as the risk of regaining after two years.  I also did not want something as extensive as the DS, which statistically is the best surgery because of al the re-routing.   if something happens to my band, I would consider the sleeve but the cutting of the stomach still makes me uncomfortable.  

I have worked 27 years in civil service with good insurance, so I knew I could deal with the aftercare for the band, getting checkups and fills when needed.  I am now less than 25 lbs from my goal and happier and healthier than I have been in 30 years.   I keep my band a little loose in order to take my pain pills without crushing them and haven't needed an adjustment in almost a year.

The band doesn't work for everyone no matter how compliant they may be, for several reasons. You will hear a variety of responses including those wo will tell you to RUN from the band.  Only you and your doctor can make the decision as to what is best for you so ...please find a good doctor and don,t be afraid to ask about his track record.  

good luck with whatever you decide!

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

MARIA F.
on 3/24/12 1:10 pm - Athens, GA

I got the band b/c I, like so many other bandsters fell for that "least invasive" B.S. :-(

No, I am NOT happy with the band. I would not wish the band on my worst enemy. Had I known then what I know now I would have gotten VSG or RNY.

FormerlyFluffy.com

TamaraL
on 3/24/12 10:24 pm
mike

With any weight loss surgery make sure you understand the complications that can happen.

The band is a good surgery for some people but the complications are pretty high.   I liked that the band could be adjusted and that I could eat small amounts of food.

I did have complications, had to have the band removed and luckily was able to have a revision but many people are stuck with the band because their insurance will not cover another surgery.

please find out from your insurance company what surgeries it will cover and do a extensive research.  look at the complications and problems.  read online.  people on here are brutally honest.  there is a group called failed lap bands and you can read the complications.  also look on the revision board at why some people are having problems.

I thought that nothing bad was going to happen to my precious band.  I ate correctly, exercised like I was training for the olymics but in the end my band had to be removed.

Nic M
on 3/25/12 1:49 am
Hi Mike,

I got the band about 9 years ago or so because my surgeon wanted to start making a lot of moolah and talked me into it. It was truly the worst decision I ever made and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It damaged my diaphragm (and the Vagus nerves that run through it) and caused me to live in chronic pain for years.

Google "Lapband + left shoulder pain" and read about how prevalent it is.

The lapband is not a good LONG TERM solution.  A very well known surgeon recently said to me, "If a lapband only works for 5 years, then it DIDN'T work."  The risks of adhesions and multiple corrective operations is a very real part of the lapband experience. Not to mention, the damage the foreign body does to the soft muscular tissue of the stomach. It's not the same as having a knee replacement or a filling in a tooth. The stomach tissue is reactive and it doesn't care much for having a silastic band wrapped around it. The tissue either breaks down or scar tissue forms over it (which is actually what the surgeon wants in order to keep the band in place) but that scar tissue causes organs to "glue" together, as well.

The band may be "removable" but it's not reversible as the manufacturers claim. It's a false claim, an outright lie, actually. But it sells devices because people believe the claim.

Please do yourself a huge favor and read through the Revisions forum here on OH, as well. And, good luck to you, sincerely.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Lisaizme
on 3/25/12 6:56 am - TX
 I chose the band as I did not want the RnY (for personal reasons) and those were the two surgeries being offered in my area 3 years ago.

I did not know about the sleeve then.  Would I have gotten the sleeve if I had known about it?  Best answre I can offer is maybe.  I know people who are doing very well with the sleeve.. then again, I met a lady who could not stop losing with the sleeve.. the day I met her she was going to have to be admitted t the hosp due to excess weight loss.

I am happy with my band about 99% of the time.. the 1% I'm unhappy is when I do something stupid like eat too much or too fast.  Operator error.. not the bands error.

I've lost about 220lbs in my 3 years banded.  Would I do it again (you didn't ask that.. but throwing it out there anyhow)?  YES
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

He who can't be Named
on 3/25/12 8:36 am
I got the band because I believed the "less invasive" crap. It was ineffective for me, and I have permanent damage from it. I want a revision to another surgery, but it couldn't be done at the time of my band removal because of the damage. If I had done real research instead of believing the advertising and band salesman (aka my surgeon) I would have never gambled on the band. It has been a waste of my time, money and health.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
c_cubed
on 3/25/12 9:53 am

I got the band Oct/2011--I needed to lose about 60-80lbs.  So far, I've lost close to 45 lbs.  

I rarely have issues unless I eat too much, too fast. Overtime, if  you eat too much, too fast, you will eventually damage your esophagus--so eat slowly and chew well!

I would suggest to anyone considering getting the band, that it is better suited for folks who need portion control.  If you're overweight because you eat all the wrong things all the time, then the band probably won't work.  If you're overweight because you eat relatively well-you just eat too much, then it might be a good choice for you.

I cook about 90% of all my family's meals, so I have control of the quality of food that goes into my mouth--but even the best food can make you fat if you eat too much of it

As for the folks who have had a bad experience with the band, take what they say with an open mind and do your own research and ask your surgeon.  My surgeon and his staff disclosed everything to me, so I know what I can and cannot do in order to be successful with my band.

Good luck!!

evydog
on 3/25/12 12:56 pm
 really wish I never got "the Band" , now I'm trying to get it out!!!!
Hislady
on 3/25/12 2:31 pm - Vancouver, WA
I didn't choose the band, it was the only surgery my surgeon would do on me because of other health issues and I'm totally dissappointed with it! I wouldn't wish a band on my worst enemy. I'm among many the band didn't work at all for. I really think the only ones with a chance of making the band work are volume eaters otherwise it's not gonna be very helpful. I'd really suggest a sleeve (VSG) it works the way the band is supposed to but doesn't. The band is a royal pain in the rear with fills and unfills, too tight, too loose, food gets stuck and makes you vomit or just hangs there in your throat. Please research the other surgeries because the band is the least effective weight loss surgery.
Most Active