3rd week stall?

free4l1fe
on 4/14/12 7:39 pm - University Place, WA
REALIZE Band on 03/27/12
 I've read many times on here that a 3rd week post-op stall is common. But my question is, how long does it usually last before the scale starts moving again? I've been wrestling with the same half pound all week.
karianne
on 4/14/12 10:06 pm - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
I remember not losing too much during the healing stage of my band.  Of course the first few weeks due to being on a liquid diet.  But once I could eat regular food and had no restriction yet it was hard to lose anything. I could literally eat the same foods and portion amounts as  before surgery but knew I had this tool and eventually it would help me. 

I did exercise and when I started getting some restriction with fills that's when I was really able to start losing.  It was gradual weight loss for me.  Anything you can do between now and when you have decent restriction is a huge bonus.   It took me about 4 fills to really feel good restriction each about 4-6 weeks apart. 

Karianne

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

ronniesnana
on 4/15/12 4:08 am
Why did you switch to gastric bypass?
karianne
on 4/15/12 4:28 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12

I actually had a very successful banding experience until last year.  I got the band back in April 2004.  Lost all my weight in 2 years.  My surgeon was very conservative  with fills which is why I never needed an unfill in 8 years.  I was able to maintain my goal weight for 5 yrs.  I was not without additional surgeries though.  I had my port flip twice my first year which resulted in 2 additional surgeries.

In April 2011, I woke up with no restriction.  I called my NP and due to no pain she said make an appointment to come in anytime.  Since I was at goal I thought I would try maintaining without the restriction-huge mistake.  I quickly gained weight.  I made the appointment and finally went in as they suspected a leak.  With dye and under radiation they were trying to identify where the leak was coming from and unfortunately they couldn't.

My only 2 options were a full band replacement or revision to GB.  I chose the GB for many reasons.  The commitment level of the first year with the band in regards to the fills and appointments is huge and I've done that once and really don't have that investment right now. I was also very lucky to hit my sweet spot without additional complications which I don't know could happen again.  I had WLS when I was 29, now almost at 40 and I realize that foreign "parts" will not last forever and I don't want additional surgeries (I already had 4 related to the band). 

I also know that I am very successful with losing and maintaining so I just want it permanent. I am very happy with my decision.  I'm 10 days post op and down 20lbs.  I still love this board and all my fellow bandsters even though I no longer have mine.  Karianne 

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

free4l1fe
on 4/15/12 4:03 pm - University Place, WA
REALIZE Band on 03/27/12
 wow thats a long time to get restriction...I'm really trying to watch what i eat so that I can lose weight before then, but I'm not going to lie, it's been really difficult. I can't wait until my body is all settled and healed and losing :)
Most Active