Lap-Band

tab047
on 4/19/12 12:12 pm
Has anyone had success w/o complications with the lap-band?  I am getting worried....I haven't decided on my surgery yet, but I was leaning towards lap-band.  
Hislady
on 4/19/12 12:38 pm - Vancouver, WA
I suggest you lean a different direction if you want a good weight loss. Mine has been nothing but a waste of time. Any weight I've lost has been my hard work with very little help from the band.
tab047
on 4/20/12 9:41 am
Thanks I appreciate your feedback!
free4l1fe
on 4/19/12 3:52 pm, edited 4/19/12 3:53 pm - University Place, WA
REALIZE Band on 03/27/12
 It's funny because  I've only been banded for 3 1/2 weeks and a friend of mine told me today that he was getting the band, and without even realzing it, I had talked him out of it and into the sleeve. I only got the band because of my insurance. I remember reading on these forums before I got the band people saying "do not let your insurance dictate what surgery you get". I thought psshhttt what choice do I have? Please just make sure you do a lot of research and make this decision that you are willing to live with for the rest of your life.
I do believe the band requires the most maintenance than other surgeries. It's hard to prepare yourself mentaly for that.  I know I'm new to this, so there is still a huge learning curve, but I would bet a lot of vets would agree, that the band is less invasive yes, but far far more maintenance in the long run. Good luck to you with what ever path you take :)
tab047
on 4/20/12 9:42 am
Thanks for sharing.....
ronniesnana
on 4/21/12 4:06 am

I also had an appt for the lap band and decided through another dr that i am going with the sleeve. My insurance does not cover the sleeve but in my heart i know that is what ive wanted all along. My insurance is not going to dictate what i do to my body. My friend had the sleeve and is very happy. No maintenance and is losing steadily. Good luch with your decision. I have done a lot of research and the sleeve is for me.

tab047
on 4/22/12 1:44 am
Good luck with your surgery!
Cherokeesage
on 4/19/12 6:17 pm, edited 4/19/12 6:18 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
Got the band in 2008 and thought it was a great tool.  It always felt like it was pinching me and I hated feeling the port.  I started at 280 and lost down to 219 the first year.  I was doing everything right so the Dr never filled mine more than half the capacity.  He had the band himself and also had pts that got theirs so tight they had issues.  I didn't lose after the first year and the second year started having some weird issues with it.  It slipped the 3rd year.  The Dr took out the liquid and I gained 25 pounds over the holidays.  I went to a different Dr for the RNY and  I'm 8 wks out from having it removed and converting to RNY.  Do your research and make sure it is what you want.  If you need to lose a lot of weight, I don't believe it is the best tool.  I wish I had gotten the RNY in the first place.  There were 3 with the band in my support group and all 3 had bands that failed. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

tab047
on 4/20/12 9:45 am
Thanks for your feedback.  I want to lose weight and not have to have two surgeries.  My support group had two that lost, but they were men and one failed and she was actually coming to back to have a second surgery like you.   rny may be the way to go to lose the weight and be healthy!
Cherokeesage
on 4/21/12 4:14 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I chose the RNY because I knew it would be right for me after the band slipped.   There are other  surgeries that you should read posts about and research as well.  I did my homework and did a lot of research about the procedures available and the surgeons.  I joined OH and back in 2008 saw only raving reviews about the band but I'd heard horror stories about RNY.  Thus,  I only wanted the band when I started my journey.  I couldn't find one person that didn't love their band.  Nor did I want a radical surgery since I was on the low side of obesity.  I'd waited a year before my insurance would pay for the Lap Band.  They'd pay for RNY but I didn't want that.   I am glad there are those that have had no problems with the band but I no longer trust it.  I did everything textbook and felt successful until the 2nd yr.  I'd take a sip of water and it would come flying out of mouth or out of nowhere clear mucous would come up.  The first year I could have small amounts of anything without any issues.  Starting the 2nd yr I never knew when I'd take a bite, chew it up completely, swallow and then loose it at the table before I could get to the bathroom so I tried going on protein drinks for days and would start over and it would still happen.  The pain was awful.   My surgeon had no answer.   My left shoulder was killing me but the Dr couldn't find a reason.  I've since learned that this has been reported by band wearers and it has something to do with the band causing issues with the diaphram.  I've not had any of this with the RNY and the pain and pinching is gone.  I wish you the best of luck in your journey.  WLS is worth it no matter what you choose to do.  I suggest you go read the other sites on OH and see the ups and downs so you get a good idea of what can happen.  We are all different so will be our experience.  God Bless and give you peace of mind when you choose the method.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active