NSAIDS and 2 years out from Lap band surgery

trippsmommy
on 7/29/12 11:26 am - Troy, MO
I am having rotator cuff surgery on the 9th of August I have not heard from my surgeon about the use of NSAIDS. I know I will be rx'd vicodin or percocet but to enhance the effects of pain medication it is advised to take an NSAID to promote decreased inflammation. I have been reading that it is okay to take NSAIDS for a short period of time and to take a PPI while on the NSAID. Has anyone else had this type of question, if so what kind of answers are you all getting? Please advise.

When I grow up I wanna be Skinny!!!

Hislady
on 7/29/12 11:35 am - Vancouver, WA
I'm not supposed to take them because I take coumadin but once in awhile I will anyway because it is all that works in some situations. My surgeon didn't say anything about taking them, it would probably be a good idea to take a PPI just to make sure there isn't any damage. I'd call the surgeon and see what he says to make sure.
kathkeb
on 7/29/12 12:03 pm
 Yep, I have gotten my surgeons permission to take NSAIDS as needed for tendinitis, with omeprazole (2per morning).

I also try to take the NSAID with some milk or yogurt to coat my tummy first.

Good luck with your surgery.
Kath

shellqueen
on 7/30/12 4:59 am - New Brighton, MN
Same as above. Good luck with the surgery. Are you having a shoulder replacement? Let me know and I will pray for you. Those can be hard to recover from but are worth it in the long run! K
trippsmommy
on 8/1/12 10:57 am - Troy, MO
No I tore my rotator cuff and God knows else lifting on a wheelchair that had 350+# woman at work in May. I think workmans Comp is just as bad as waiting for the Insurance to approve the lapband surgery to happen. I went through 8 weeks of Phyical Therapy (oops Physical Torture) and the Ortho telling me that rotator cuff tears heal themselves and I will be back to patient care in no time. Well it has been 14 weeks and I have been assigned to a desk job and a 5# weight limit. I will ba at the desk for another 3 months and going to Physical Torture for 3 months. I am going to stop whining now thanks for the prayers and the well wishes.

Butterfly618
on 7/30/12 11:29 am - NJ
3 years out and I take NSAID almost every day of with PPI because I have RA.  All is well.  When I went for the surgery I was told that Lab band was the best choice because of the NSAID if I had a problem it could be fix.  No so with the other weight loss surgery operations.  Anyway that was what my RA doctor said and my surgeon. 

"SUCCESS IS A LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET"
Please visit my OH  Support group:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/allinthemind/welcome/

Where you will find helpful strategies to achieve you goals

Highest 325.7lbs Surgery 295lbs Current 244lbs 

SueBee01
on 7/30/12 11:36 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Good luck with your surgery.
 Sue

trippsmommy
on 8/1/12 10:48 am - Troy, MO
thanks!

debann
on 7/30/12 12:43 pm - Anytown, TN
For short periods of time, ok.  I will mention that I did have some bleeding in my stomach when I took them for too long.   
trippsmommy
on 8/1/12 11:13 am - Troy, MO
Hey thanks for all the repies Surgeon called I can take Ibuprofen but not to take large doses in a short time span wait every 8-12 hours between doses. I can take a PPI if I choose to, since I will betaking it every 8-12 hours. I also asked about vomiting with anesthesia. He said to make sure they place a scopolamine patch behind my ear and put antiemetic in my IV during the procedure. I think I am all set as far as making sure I don't get an ulcer from this and making sure I don't slip my band.

Most Active