Generic meds vs name brand

NanaB .
on 9/14/12 11:42 am, edited 9/14/12 4:55 am
So...over the years when I've had REALLY bad reflux or burning, I've taken a round of Protonix for about 30 days and heals what issues I have and I don't have to take them any more for awhile.

I got a prescription about 1 week ago when I started to have the severe burning and pain, I have a history of GERD before my band, I used to be on Nexium, but I did not like it since I used to get really bad headaches with it, so Protonix has been a miracle cure for any type of reflux or burning that I may experience and it is very strong especially since I have the band...and Lap band reflux and burning is 10x worse than normal if it occurs.

I honestly just noticed that my insurance company automatically fill all my prescriptions with generic without me knowing what the heck I am taking..

So...I called the pharmacy and asked them and they said "oh most insurance companies are now doing that these days" and If I want name brand I will have to use a special code and she gave me a code to tell my doctors office to use which clearly say I can't take generic and that is the only way I can get name brand......

No wonder I've been burning like heck when I've take this watered down crap....I don't believe them when they SAY generic meds are the same....if they are the same why is it that when I take REAL Protonix, the burning goes away immediately?

Any way....enough of my rant...just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem?

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

kathkeb
on 9/14/12 3:29 pm
My doc wanted me on Dexilant (the new GERD wonder drug) -- and after 2 months of that, my insurance insisted that I move to generic omeprezole

Fortunately, the 60 days of Dexilant were enough to calm my symptoms and the omeprazole has been enough to keep me pain free --- but it is frustrating to go through that 'tug of war'.
Kath

NanaB .
on 9/15/12 4:11 am

These insurance companies need to be stopped, I wonder if they care if we really get better from medication or if they are only concerned about their bottom line -costs versus patient safety.

I thought I was having lap band issues and turns out it is the generic protonix that is making me ill and causing all sort of allergic reactions, and stomach burning and for me, it does the opposite of what is suppose to do like suppress stomach acid and burning but made it worse, I am thinking about reporting all my issues to the FDA. This drug has caused me to get my band emptied unnecessarily, get additional tests for my band and an ER visit. Sometimes when we think we have band problems they can be caused by other drugs.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

Bette B.
on 9/15/12 1:11 pm
I've never had a problem with generics, but I DID have a major problem when one generic antibiotic was refilled with the same one made by a different manufacturer. No problem with the first one, but the second gave me an allergic reaction so bad my doc told me to stay away from ALL brands ("real" and generic) forever, to avoid a potentially deadly reaction! 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

pineview01
on 9/15/12 5:14 pm - Davison, MI
At least yours pays.  Mine came out two years ago and will pay for NO
ppi's.  I only take two meds the HBP and PPi's and they stopped paying
for them.  The HBP meds they pay for, they don't either as they cost less than the co-pay and I can only get them generic.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

bagelface
on 9/16/12 7:52 am
VSG on 08/22/12
 All reasons why health insurance should not be a for profit business.  Hopefully we can keep moving forward with the advancements that have been made in healthcare by the president.  
Most Active