has anyone gained weight after their surgery

mercedes66693
on 10/22/12 3:05 am
Hello everyone

I'm just wondering has anyone gained weight after your surgery until you've found your sweet spot for the band?  Ive been banded since August 9th and have not found my sweet spot with 3 fills
Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Mercedes
(deactivated member)
on 10/22/12 3:08 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
Mercedes,

Are you feeling ANY restriction?

If you have had three fills, aren't feeling restriction, and gaining weight, I'm thinking you may have a defective band (i.e., the fill is leaking).

Are you following the nutritional advice in both quantity and type of intake?

If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. 

Lisa
mercedes66693
on 10/22/12 3:12 am
I feel a little restriction the first day or two but then it goes away
What do they do for a defective band? 
(deactivated member)
on 10/22/12 3:48 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
Replace the defective part(s). 

It's hard to tell if you have a leaky band OR you get swollen up from the fill and unswell and just haven't really hit sweet spot.  I hope it's the latter but you need to talk to your surgeon about this.  Especially if you are compliant and are gaining weight.
mercedes66693
on 10/22/12 3:53 am
Thank you and will do go to see them tomorrow

Hislady
on 10/22/12 6:36 am - Vancouver, WA
Not that Caramel is wrong by any means, but I was one *****ally swelled after a fill and had to stay on liquids or soft food for a least a week. It also took 4 or 5 fills untill I got restriction that I could feel. Also kinda depends on how much fill you are getting, some docs only do tiny ones and others do big ones. Just stay aware of how it feels and keep in contact with your surgeon so you can take care of any issue that may pop up.
pineview01
on 10/22/12 12:22 pm - Davison, MI
On October 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:
Not that Caramel is wrong by any means, but I was one *****ally swelled after a fill and had to stay on liquids or soft food for a least a week. It also took 4 or 5 fills untill I got restriction that I could feel. Also kinda depends on how much fill you are getting, some docs only do tiny ones and others do big ones. Just stay aware of how it feels and keep in contact with your surgeon so you can take care of any issue that may pop up.
Same here! 
Yep, makes a difference if your surgeon did a 3cc prefill in surgery or not.  Makes a differnce in how much at each fill.  I have heard her some getting 1-3cc at a fill and some even more the first time.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cryspyx
on 10/22/12 8:12 am - Hartford, CT
it took about ten months to find my "sweet spot." up until that point i'd have sworn the "sweet spot" was a myth. didn't gain weight, still kept losing but was throwing up quite often that i often threatened to just have the darn thing removed until we hit that point that i stopped yarking after ever other meal.

the fact that you're feeling restriction and then it goes away after a day or so, sounds like you have a leak.
crystal M.
on 10/22/12 11:33 am - Joliet, IL
It took me over a year to get to my sweet spot.  I had to be filled to 9.8 ccs before I felt anything.  Some people just have a high tolerance to the band and need a lot more restriction before we feel anything.  I can still eat pretty much what I want...just smaller portions.  It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your band.  With the band there is a lot of waiting and waiting...for someone like me...I'm very impatient...it drove me nuts.  I was being filled under fluoro every month so I knew I was fine as far as leaks and band placement or slips.  So as long as you know everything is OK there...it's just going to be a waiting game.     

I had a very slow start in the beginning...and I have gone on to lose more than 160 lbs and I'm still losing.  Just this past month I have recommitted myself to losing more weight and I have lost 6lbs this month and I'm more than 3 1/2 years out.  I haven't had a fill in more than a year.  I just hit the gym really hard and watch what I eat. 

Most Active