Burning pain

Easternshoregrl
on 1/8/13 10:56 pm - MD
I have been banded for 4 yrs next month. In the past 3 months I have developed a burning pain under/behind my right lower rib, and when it gets really bad, it goes to the left side too. Gall bladder has been out 2 years. It is when I'm hungry, or right after I eat. Coffee makes it worse, spicey makes it worse. It is like a GERD pain, but not in the GERD area. It is now a daily thing, day and or night. I'm not having any issues with eating, like getting stuck or pain. I have seen my dr and had a chest xray and will be getting an adominal ultra sound. I guess the next step if this doesn't resolve will be a trip to my surgeon who is 3 hours away. Anyone have had a similar thing?

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

Bette B.
on 1/8/13 11:17 pm

Can your PCP recommend you to a gastroenterologist? And, I doubt that it's related but, have you seen your gyno?

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Easternshoregrl
on 1/9/13 1:28 am - MD
Never thought of seeing the gyno. It's not anywhere close to that area. Mostly right bottom rib and should blade pain. Similar sites as when I had gall bladder issues but gall bladder is gone and this is burning pain, not sharp pains like gall bladder attacks.

Nic M
on 1/9/13 1:35 am

I have burning pain from a hiatal hernia. I take Dexilant daily and it does help somewhat.  It's hard to pinpoint the exact area, but it's under the ribcage on both sides. It could be acid reflux, too.

You may want to get checked for that.  I know that a liver infection can cause pain there, as well as if there's something wrong with your pancreas. I would think that would be rare, however.

Hope it's nothing serious and you feel better soon.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Bette B.
on 1/8/13 11:20 pm

Give your surgeon's office a call, too, to see if he/she has any suggestions for you.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

NanaB .
on 1/8/13 11:28 pm, edited 1/8/13 11:32 pm

I started having burning pain after Labor Day after eating some salsa and fish at a restaurant after a recent fill and it never got better. I did not have "band related issues of getting food stuck, vomiting or food intolerance either.

Initially I would have mild burning after meals like silent reflux and typically TOMS or chewable Prevacid would take it away. But this time it did not get better, I was referred to a Gastroenterologist and I had all sorts of scans run, Upper Gi, CT scan, x-ray and finally an endoscopy revealed I had a large hiatal hernia that had been there when I got my first band, it just got more inflamed over time with my band.

I had to search high and low for a very skilled surgeon, and I traveled out of state to Pennsylvania to repair my hernia and replace my band at the same time, my surgeon could not save my old band when he repaired my hernia because I had the very old 4cc band that does not unbuckle without damaging the entire lap band system, so he had to replace my old band with a new AP band.

I am very thankful for my surgeon, my burning went away after my revision surgery and I am about 8 weeks post op and I have never had to take one PPi or acid reducer since my revision. I am amazed at how I feel.

I don't know if you have a hiatal hernia, but an Upper GI did not detect it, an endoscopy only showed my hiatal hernia. I am very happy with my new band.

Good luck.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

Easternshoregrl
on 1/18/13 1:11 am - MD
Had chest xray, ultrasound, going for CAT scan IV/OP and after that, EGD. The pain hasn't been as bad. Maybe it's my mind not wanting to go through all these tests. The ones I had so far so nothing wrong.

Easternshoregrl
on 1/9/13 1:26 am - MD
It is so strange that the pain is under and behind mostly my right bottom rib. I have no GERD pain in the stomach area at all. I guess I will find out after all the tests are evaluated.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/9/13 6:31 am - UK

No suggestions! Just best wishes! Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

mary d
on 1/18/13 2:33 am

Get it checked out.  Better you find out what is going on sooner rather than later.  I had symptoms like that, it turned out to be a slip.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Most Active