Chia seeds

Easternshoregrl
on 1/17/13 8:08 pm - MD
Ok, I got the right chia seeds, Had 2 tbs and felt full, no cravings. First time I didn't have a sugar melt down at 2pm. I had coffee, protein shake, yogurt and some baked chips with salsa. That was it the whole day and for me that is pretty darn good. I even got in my water, so why is it I gained 2 1/2lbs? I weigh myself every morning and that has NEVER happened since my surgery. I feel bloated too. So much for an easy fix for my cravings.

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

NanaB .
on 1/17/13 8:26 pm

Could be the chips? Which may cause water retention. I doubt you gained 2 pounds overnight, bu****er retention will cause temp weight gain. If you are on a roll to lose weight, stay away from chips, crackers, keep it strictly proteins, moist proteins like tuna, soft fish and moist baked chicken will move weight quicker and keep you fuller than protein drinks and yogurt.

Also...walk, walk and walk.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

mary d
on 1/17/13 8:39 pm

The things you ate could cause water retention.  Not enough solid protein, maybe too much salt.  Chia is fiber which could also cause temporary water retention.  I would stay with the chia, but eat more solid protein, less chips.

Also, don't worry so much about temporary fluctuations in weight.  It is natural for weight to go up and down.  As long as the trend is down, you are doing something right.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

prek-3
on 1/17/13 10:12 pm - Hollywood, FL
Hi eastern,
Weight can fluctuate easily, even though you are weighing daily. i wouldnt worry about it especially if you know you ate properly.

Also watch the salsa, not all
Salsas are created equal. Sodium in there too. Salt can also create cravings.

I so understand the cravings. Look at your sugar content in your yogurt. I have the Greek nonfat plain yogurt. I add truvia and 1 frozen strawberry to it. All of a sudden all these new Greek titled yogurts are out there. I stick with fage or chobani plain non fat. A standby treat , yoplait key lime Greek is 100 calories , 7 sugars and 13 proteins.

Whenever I do have a fruit, I pair it with a protein. The protein neutralizes our taste buds. So cottage cheese with canteloup etc... Apple with a cheese stick etc...

You are on the right track with the chia! I like my chia too!
Good luck
Prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

Easternshoregrl
on 1/17/13 10:46 pm - MD
I am a chobani and oikos yogurt lover. I stay away from the others. I tried FAGE and didn't like it at all. I have had baked chips with salsa before and never had this kind of gain in one day. I even had all my water, which is a stuggle for me too. I will re-visit my carb intake and trudge on.

sfnativewm
on 1/17/13 10:41 pm

I think someone didn't tell you that you begin chia seeds with about 1/4 teaspoon a day and each week add another 1/4 until you reach the amount you want.   That bloating will go away, stay off the chia seeds for about 4 days and begin again.

Good luck!!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Easternshoregrl
on 1/17/13 10:49 pm - MD
1/4 tsp? Everything I had researched, even with the band said 2 Tbsp. I had 1 tbsp with water mid morning, and another tbsp around 2 when I usually have my sugar craving. It reall did help the sugar craving. I will cut back the chia and see what happens

PetHairMagnet
on 2/6/14 7:46 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM Pacific Time, Easternshoregrl wrote:
1/4 tsp? Everything I had researched, even with the band said 2 Tbsp. I had 1 tbsp with water mid morning, and another tbsp around 2 when I usually have my sugar craving. It reall did help the sugar craving. I will cut back the chia and see what happens

2 tablespoons with 1/4 cup boiling water, wait 10 minutes and then enjoy was what I was told. Sort of a gel/pudding. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Stephanie M.
on 1/17/13 10:49 pm, edited 1/17/13 10:51 pm

The chia seeds absorb a lot of liquid and get quite heavy.  Instead of peeing out the water you mixed them in, along with them drawing more water out of tissues, that would explain the weight.  Normally, you'd pee out excess water.  I bet you're going to pee a lot when those seed**** the colon....or you could be in for some quality bm time.  Wait and see.

cut and pasted from the link below:

Other possible chia seeds side effects can consist of water retention and weight gain. The weight gain caused by taking chia seeds is because the body will hold onto water, one of the problematic side effects of chia seeds.

http://www.sideeffectslist.net/conditions/weightloss/chia-se eds-side-effects.php

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active