slipped band

vwbug
on 3/22/13 11:32 am - WA

I had lap band done May of 2011. It has been fantastic for me. I have lost 136 lbs and was feeling great. Well the last few months started having really bad acid reflux etc. Well Dr had me do a test and my band has slipped. Has anyone had that happen and what did you do?  If you had it fixed have you had any other problems ?  Dr wans to do the surgery in a couple weeks. I really dont want to lose my band.

Hislady
on 3/22/13 12:16 pm - Vancouver, WA

Well most docs try unfilling it for 4-6 weeks first to try to let the slip repair. Then if it doesn't sometimes they can go in and repair the slip. However once there is a slip you are more prone top another one. Altho some people do just fine once it is fixed. So you need to talk with your surgeon and see if he is talking of removing the band or merely repairing it.

Jean M.
on 3/22/13 10:36 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

My band slipped. It was fixed by a complete unfill and 6-week rest period, after which we started gradually adding fluid. I do know a few people who needed surgery to reposition their slipped band. I think it depends on the severity and nature of the slip (for example, did it slip downward on your stomach, or upward onto your esophagus).

I asked my surgeon if one band slip would predispose me to another and she said "Not necessarily."

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

annie0039
on 3/23/13 12:55 am

FYI: this is a chart of LB SLIP's from a surgical guide, it might explain WHY your surgeon is deciding on Surgery.

What type of TEST did he do that indicated your slip? I'm curious because my Surgeon did and ENG and said My band "was fine" when I reported reflux problems and I'd appreciate the HELP if anyone knows If it's even possible to determine a slip from an ENG? I thought the best test was X-rays? 

Band slip classification

Type Definition Mechanism Etiology Management
I Anterior slip Downward migration of band Insufficient anterior fixation Surgical
II Posterior slip Posterior stomach wall herniates through band Perigastric approach Surgical
III Pouch enlargement Pouch dilation Tight band or overeating Band deflation, re-education
IV Immediate postoperative prolapse Band placed too low on the stomach Inappropriate low band placement Surgical
V Type I or II with gastric necrosis Band slip with pouch ischemia Acute pouch dilation Surgical

Lisa O.
on 3/25/13 5:46 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Hi, 

I'm not familiar with an ENG.  What is it?  I have had Endoscopy and upper GI's only.  As I understand it, the Endoscopy looks at the inside of the esophagus and stomach but can't see the band and the UGI looks at the outside.  The UGI is a barium swallow and my surgeon uses this to see the band placement.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

annie0039
on 3/25/13 7:33 am

Lisa my surgeon referred to the Endoscopy as an ENG. I questioned that fact that he said my band was "FINE" when all he did  was Endo, My understanding of this procedure was the same as yours. That  with an Endo all you see is the stomach and esophagus, NOT the placement of the band , so that is why I asked

An upper GI series uses x rays to help diagnose problems of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum.

What problems can an upper GI series detect?

An upper GI series can help detect

• ulcers
  • abnormal growths
  • scars or strictures—narrowings of the GI tract
  • hiatal hernia
  • diverticula—bulges in the wall of the esophagus or intestine
  • esophageal varices—enlarged veins in the esophagus
  • I appreciate all the HELP and posted this for others, hoping it might help.

melly37
on 3/25/13 12:46 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12

I was diagnosed with a slip 2 years after my initial band was placed.  Although, I had problems from the beginning because my first surgeon was a quack.  I required surgery to fix my band slip.  I had my band for another 2 years with NO slip, but developed other problems, leading to a revision to the VSG.  Good luck, hopefully you will have an uneventful surgery and still have your band!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

FlowerMomi
on 3/25/13 5:17 am - Wichita, KS
Hi Melly, what kind of issues did you have when you were dealing with the slipped band?

*         *       *        *       *Christie*                 *         *         *   

Momi of 4 beautiful daughters and Lily the cat!      *         

melly37
on 3/25/13 11:44 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12

Hi there.  When my band was slipped I would have days where I felt "normal".  I could eat solid foods, in bandster portions.  I could drink liquids fine.  Then, I would have days where NO solid foods were going to stay down, and even water and protein shakes would sit in the upper pouch for a long time.  I would have nights of NO sleep, because as soon as my body relaxed to drift off to sleep, I would wake up choking on acid. 

Oye

I don't miss those days, whatsoever!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

phyllis1112
on 3/25/13 11:21 am

Did your insurance pay for the revision of the VSG? I had gastric bypass in 2001 and last year I was having severe stomach pains and gained almost 50 pounds back. I haad an END done and found out that the silastic ring was floating in my stomach and it was removed by a gasteronial MD. I think the pouch has enlarged and the intake of food is more than normally. The doctor who performed the surgery in 2001 has retired and I founded out that several of his patients had to have this problem fixed.

I just want to get the additional weight off because I feel it in my knees. HELP! I went in on 3/21/13 to see another biatric doctor who my primary doctor sent me to because he feels it needs to be redone or revisited.

Most Active