Eggs: Why are they trouble- what can be done?

terrysimpson
on 4/25/13 12:53 pm - Scottsdale, CA

Frustrating when something as simple as eggs get stuck in a band. 

Here is why they get stuck: egg white is primarily protein -and a fairly lean protein. When protein is heated above 160 degrees F the protein denatures (unravels) and water begins to escape. If it continues to escape then the egg becomes rubbery - hard, and coagulated.  You swallow that and it will be stuck. 

This happens with any protein- the higher temp the more they loose water, and the easier they get stuck in the pouch above the band. Even if you put lots of sauce around the egg - it will get stuck.

Restaurants don't help this much. Most restaurants cook scrambled eggs on a very hot griddle - and in a minute have your eggs ready to go. For a band patient- this is not fun.

How to fix them:

For scrambled eggs- it is best to go low and slow. Want to see a good video- go to YouTube and see how Gordon Ramsay fixes scrambled eggs. or go to foodwishes.com and see those. You will find eggs that have the consistency of custard.

Hard boiled- slice them very thin- use a bit of mustard or low fat mayo

Best way to make eggs is Sous Vide style- this takes time but they taste delicious.

Eggs can be enjoyed for dinner - and if made correctly are a great source of protein. While the yolk is higher in fat and cholesterol, there have been large population studies looking at eggs and finding no correlation between eggs and heart disease (in spite of earlier thoughts about that).

So- learn to make some great eggs- 

If you love to cook - consider Sous Vide cooking- more later

Hope this helps

sfnativewm
on 4/26/13 2:10 am

lol THAT  sous vide cooking machine has been raised to the top of my wish list!!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

terrysimpson
on 4/26/13 2:44 am - Scottsdale, CA

We use Sous Vide to cook 3-4 nights a week. It makes cooking easy. I'll have something about it in a while. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/13 8:11 am

How does one make a fried egg?  Seriously, how?

When I make a fried egg, sunny side up, the white chit is as big as a dinner plate.  How do you do it like Denny's?

terrysimpson
on 4/26/13 10:34 am - Scottsdale, CA
First use a smaller pan. Heat it on medium to low heat. If you have an insta-read thermometer before the pan gets to 160 add butter. The butter should melt but not burn or sputter

Crack an egg and slide onto a small plate. If you have egg shells it is easier to take out of a plate than hot pan.

When butter melted slide egg onto the pan.

Check the recipe section at terrysimpson.com

For a single egg I have a 4 inch cast iron pan
prek-3
on 4/26/13 11:30 am - Hollywood, FL

I guess you just gave me another a reason to go shoppin!!!!

Thank You!

prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

terrysimpson
on 4/26/13 10:44 am - Scottsdale, CA
http://terrysimpson.com/recipe.php?id=1 - try there
Most Active