Biggest loser lap band styl

marlabowen
on 6/3/13 1:02 am - Bowmanville, Canada

I think that there should be a biggest loser show for people with the lap band, I think it would be so amazing to be properly taught how to live with the band that I have been struggling with for the past 6 years, I feel like they did the procedure and told me to eat a cup of food at a time and sent me on my way, I was not mentally prepared to lose the weight and keep it off, I lost 100lbs with the band and got pregnant and now I am heavier than I was pre surgery, it has been 2 1/2 years since I had my little one and can't seem to get the weight off again, I have had chronic lower body pain since having my son which limits my mobility, even walking is a struggle on some days, I feel like I am missing out on my sons childhood, I would have loved to be put in a house with a bunch of other people with the band and the same struggles as myself to learn why I am the way I am and deal with it once and for all.

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/13 1:10 am
On June 3, 2013 at 8:02 AM Pacific Time, marlabowen wrote:

I think that there should be a biggest loser show for people with the lap band, I think it would be so amazing to be properly taught how to live with the band that I have been struggling with for the past 6 years, I feel like they did the procedure and told me to eat a cup of food at a time and sent me on my way, I was not mentally prepared to lose the weight and keep it off, I lost 100lbs with the band and got pregnant and now I am heavier than I was pre surgery, it has been 2 1/2 years since I had my little one and can't seem to get the weight off again, I have had chronic lower body pain since having my son which limits my mobility, even walking is a struggle on some days, I feel like I am missing out on my sons childhood, I would have loved to be put in a house with a bunch of other people with the band and the same struggles as myself to learn why I am the way I am and deal with it once and for all.

The biggest loser show really doesn't do things the right way anyway.  It wouldn't be a fair competition, some can get restriction and some can't.  There would be no way to make that one fair.

The #1 issue when trying to lose weight is to cut out ALL white carbs.  All of them.  No flour, sugar, rice, pasta, or potatoes.  That alone will make you melt.

If you lost 100# initially, you know the routine.  You have done it before, you can do it again!!!

marlabowen
on 6/3/13 1:16 am - Bowmanville, Canada

I meant only people with the band can be on it, and my idea was not to compete against each other it was to learn with each other, more of an educational show, the first time I lost the weight I pretty much starved myself, I was so tight I could hardly even get liquid down, but yeah your right I must know the routine, I am not looking to be criticized I just had a thought.

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/13 1:37 am
On June 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM Pacific Time, marlabowen wrote:

I meant only people with the band can be on it, and my idea was not to compete against each other it was to learn with each other, more of an educational show, the first time I lost the weight I pretty much starved myself, I was so tight I could hardly even get liquid down, but yeah your right I must know the routine, I am not looking to be criticized I just had a thought.

I am not criticizing but I am being honest.  Surgery is the easy part, you lay there sleeping while everyone else does the work.  Losing isn't toooo bad, not if you have a working band.  Maintenance is where it get hard.  That is the hardest part of it all.  

Biggest Loser IS a competition, that's the whole point of that stupid, degrading, unhealthy, temporary weight loss program.  You don't need such a restrictive program to do well.  You need to get your head in the game and cut out the white carbs.  Exercise is important to maintain muscle, but diet is 90% of weight loss.

The reality is- when it comes to post op we have to be proactive and read read read, research, learn, understand, put into practice.  Nobody is going to spoon feed us all the info we need to know to lose and maintain.  That is up to us.  My own surgeon's instructions were to eat 1 cup of food at a time and cut out ALL fat.  All of it, 100%.  Never a teaspoon of mayo or butter again for the rest of my life.  That was just stupid advice, we need dietary fat to survive.  We need fat to burn fat.  I had to learn what works for ME and you have to learn what works for YOU.  We all do.

tomander
on 6/4/13 10:24 am - Toronto, Canada

I would LOVE that... I really love helping people on their lapband journey.  I host three coffee groups a month for people that are banded or looking into the procedure.  This keeps me motivated and on track.  I still get weighed in every month with my family doctor.

I have a great network of bandsters that I connect with on a monthly basis.  I chat with people in person and on the phone regularly.

The band saved my life.  I started with a 54" waist and am now a 30" waist.

Tom, Toronto

Banded, July 6 06

Wt. Loss:  156 lbs

katiekat412
on 6/3/13 1:55 am
Others will offer much better advice, but are you using the band? Do you have restriction? Trying to diet on your own?

I agree. It's hard to lose weight fast, mentally. Understatement of the century! And yes, post WLS eductation SUCKS!! I had a great surgeon at home but the nutrition advice was awful (thank God for this site) and no quality support groups.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Hang in there and figure out how you can get back at it.

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

marlabowen
on 6/3/13 1:59 am - Bowmanville, Canada

Thank you for not being rude and make me feel worse than I already do, until a couple minutes ago I did not think that was possible, boy was I wrong.

marlabowen
on 6/3/13 2:03 am - Bowmanville, Canada

I am using the band, I had an adjustment done last week, I am now feeling some restriction, my surgeons office told me it is not what you eat it is how much you eat, this has not been working for me.

katiekat412
on 6/3/13 2:58 am
Well you know way better than me about finding the "sweet spot"! From people I know with the band sometimes the right fill is a mental war because they want to live normal lives. Unfortunately people who are losing weight with WLS can't be normal in the weight loss phase. People will argue with me but we live in a food centric world. That being said there are many who go overboard. Balance is hard!!

The one thing I can comment on is that your surgeons office is wrong about what you eat. What you eat is EVERYTHING. You know that slider foods will make you gain. So will processed foods, a lot of wheat products- even fruit! All of these either cause cellular inflammation and/or blood sugar spikes. Anyway, try sticking with protein first, followed by some veggies, and count your calories.

I can't imagine how hard that is with little ones but you're doing this partially for them! Great motivation

I look forward to hearing about your progress!!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

marlabowen
on 6/3/13 3:05 am - Bowmanville, Canada

Thank you sooo much, I will try that with the protein first and counting my calories, finally some real advice, any nutrition tips are appreciated :-)

Most Active