HAIR LOSS

Jynndu
on 1/15/14 5:21 am

Ok... So I have been reading a lot of posts that elaborate on the significant loss of hair after surgery. I am extremely worried about this and would like some more input of the matter. I am 25 years old and havent had any serious hormone issues but my hair is fine and towards the front of my scalp is relatively thin. I worry the hair loss from the lap band will be extreme and am not sure if there is truly any way to help prevent this or in the least aid in reducing the amount that will be lost. Any ideas or input? 

Bette B.
on 1/15/14 8:25 am

Hair loss can happen from any surgery and it is, for the most part, avoidable. Make sure you take vitamins regularly and that you get the right amount of protein. I only had a INvoluntary, minor hair loss once and having an extra protein shake each day for a week took care of the problem.

I call that "involuntary" because I voluntarily shave my head every year for a children's cancer charity and hair loss is a yearly thing for me. kiss

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/15/14 9:43 am - UK

Google telogen effluvium . Temporary loss of hair due to trauma such as severe illness, pregnancy, anaesthesia, dramatic weight loss. Banded people don't get the rapid weight loss of other surgeries so, as long as you eat a balanced diet, hair loss (if any) is usually due to the anaesthetic. The key word is temporary, damage to the follicles occurs at the time of the anaesthesia and by the time hair loss starts, new hair is already growing. 

But it is much less common for bandsters.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

vlp1968
on 1/18/14 9:45 pm

Yep Kate, that's exactly what my dermatologist told me.  I saw him when I started loosing hair about 5 months post-op.  He said it was the shock of rapid weight loss.  It stopped coming out about 3 months later.  I was lucky to start with a thick head of hair.

Hislady
on 1/15/14 9:50 am - Vancouver, WA

Hair loss with the band is far less than in the malabsorbtive type surgeries like the RNY and DS where they don't absorb many of the vitamins and minerals. We absorb most of the vitamins and minerals so don't have a dietary cause of hair loss. Some people lose hair from the surgery itself because of the shock to your body from the surgery and anesthesia but usually not a lot. Some people use biotin and extra protein but as a rule if you are going to lose any hair it will be at the 3-5 month stage and it will grow back with in a few months so it isn't a big problem for most of us. Myself I have very thin hair and have had over a dozen surgeries in the last several years but haven't lost hair with any of them, so it varies depending in the person. Hopefully you will be like me and not lose any!

Jynndu
on 1/15/14 10:51 pm

Thanks for the input guys! It makes me feel much more comfortable knowing what to expect. I hope everyone has a great day!!!!

Most Active