7 Days Postop-Allergic Reaction

KGG
on 3/21/14 3:16 pm

I know there will be alot of people who will tell me that I am being silly but this forum is for all to share their WLS experiences. I was banded on 3/14/14 and have been to the ER 6 times in 6 days. My local ER is under the same impression that I had concluded for myself 3 days postop....that my body doesn't agree with the band & it should be removed. My chest & rib cage are in constant pain. My breathing is shallow because my airways are constricted. No way to sleep through the night with chest pain and very little air. I can't keep any types of fluids down, including protein shakes. I can't even keep my vitamins down. I was 284.5 postop morning. I am 273.6 today. 4.2 of those pounds came off in the last 24 hours alone. Starvation is never healthy. All weight loss isn't good weight loss. My body simply does not agree with this band. Period. There's no other way to put that. My surgeon is playing hide & seek because he wants me to wait until my postop appointment (5 days from now). His nurse says that there are no other appointments available sooner than that so I'll have to to tough it out. So, that's what I'm doing. The nurse is also telling me that I have to have the band in for atleast a month before having it removed. This is hell-ish

Stephanie M.
on 3/22/14 1:32 am

I can't understand why your bariatric surgeon didn't see you???  Are you getting IV fluids at the ER???  Are you taking a liquid (children's ) antihistamine?

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

KGG
on 3/22/14 1:37 pm
On March 22, 2014 at 8:32 AM Pacific Time, Stephanie M. wrote:

I can't understand why your bariatric surgeon didn't see you???  Are you getting IV fluids at the ER???  Are you taking a liquid (children's ) antihistamine?

I have received fluids once. I don't know why my surgeon doesn't take it seriously. I think he wants me to drive to his hospital and have myself admitted.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/22/14 2:06 am - UK

There is nothing helpful I can say. Just wanted to send my very best wishes to you for a speedy resolution. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

KGG
on 3/22/14 1:38 pm

Thank you very much. Everyday I am hoping that my body will change its mind and do a 360

Nic M
on 3/22/14 3:34 pm

You'll only want a 180, Friend. 

I really hope you feel better soon. Maybe after some of the swelling from surgery dissipates, you'll feel better. It's worth hoping for. 

KGG
on 3/22/14 4:13 pm
On March 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM Pacific Time, Nic M wrote:

You'll only want a 180, Friend. 

I really hope you feel better soon. Maybe after some of the swelling from surgery dissipates, you'll feel better. It's worth hoping for. 

Thank you & most definitely!

betterlife2
on 3/22/14 2:18 am

Sorry but as I mentioned before you still sound like a troll. People who are REALLY sick and new to the board would not be on this forum with cute fonts, and posting on the revision board? ER 6 times? sounds a bit over the top to me, the lap band does not cause this type of issue post op, if you are having that many issues your surgeon should admit you and if you were that sick you would not be posting here so frequently...just saying.

Don't worry, if your goal is to run new people away or scare new people, this board is a ghost town, most people post here don't like their bands.

Tim.55
on 3/22/14 4:41 am

I've read so many bad things about the band that I wondered if there was a campaign against it?  Why would someone do this?

Stephanie M.
on 3/23/14 3:15 am

Tim.55, our reasons for dissuading people from banding are based on our own experience and the experience of others we know who've shared their negative experiences.

The failed band group here has almost 900 members.  One of our FB  groups has over 1500 members.  Some of us are in both groups, since the one on here is not really an active posting group, just a place to keep resources.

i belong to anothe FB group to support all wls types with regain and revision issues. It has over 1000 members and many are RNY and band patients dealing with regain and revision.

i belong to another site that is very pro band and will run you off if you say anything negative.  They bully, name call and one has gone so far as to reach outside the group and stalk on other sites.  

I wasted 4 years of my life preparing for my band, living with the band, 3 surgeries and I don't have a band any longer.  I do have the consequences, 16 scars on my belly and some new Dx procedures that are pretty barbaric.  I've been exposed to lots of radiation, snorted lidocaine spiked KY jelly and "swallowed a zipper", as the tech described it during my motility test.

I think the band will become obsolete in the next 5-10 years.  With over 200,000 bariatric surgeries performed each year, and banding having been very popular over the last 10, assuming 25% were bands, that's 500,000 people.  Someone told me that only 5% fail if you do everything right.  The estimated numbers of failed bands ranges from 30-60%.  So 25,000 on the low side, 300,000 on the high side.  Over the next 10 years, another 200,000-400,000 bands could be placed and failures could double.

I will always recommend a newbie to research, be open to hear both sides, pros and cons of each procedure.  Glad you're considering VSG.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active