12 Day Postop Appointment-BAND REMOVAL

KGG
on 3/26/14 5:24 pm

To follow up, I had my initial postop appointment with my surgeon today. The conclusion has been reached that the band is in disagreement with my body. The major portion of my pain is stemming from my diaphragm. I am set to have the band removed 2 weeks from now and will be sleeved 6 months from that time. Thank you to those of you who have shown me support these last 12 days. I truly appreciate it :-) Always be patient with newbies when they attempt to describe their symptoms because YOU just never know. But they will always know their own body. 

Kate -True Brit
on 3/26/14 5:42 pm, edited 3/26/14 5:43 pm - UK

Sorry you have had this awful time and I wish you all the best for recovery and your future sleeve. 

Do the docs know what caused this? Nic's early experience was similar but hers was caused (Nic, sorry if I have this wrong) by an incompetent surgeon damaging her diaphragm.  Or is yours purely a reaction to the implant? 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

KGG
on 3/27/14 1:48 am

Hi Kate. They don't know. But the way the other surgeon was poking my diaphragm, I came home in more pain than when I went in. They will be running a couple of tests in the next few weeks. In the meantime, I'll continue with the lifestyle dietary changes and workouts (since they prescribed better pain meds). 

Kate -True Brit
on 3/27/14 2:01 am - UK

I am totally non-medically qualified but it just sounds odd to call it an allergic reaction. People can, of course, have allergic reactions to implants. But these days there are so many different things which get inserted into our bodies, from knee joints to pacemakers, that surely all materials used are as un-allergenic as they can possibly be. And your description of pain sounds like damage during surgery. Certainly sounds more akin to what Nic had after her surgery. Might be worth comparing notes with her. She is very well informed about things like this - not surprisingly! 

Hislady
on 3/27/14 2:58 am - Vancouver, WA

Before I had mine out I had horrid pain up under my rib cage and down into my diaphram. Most of it went away within a few weeks after surgery but I still have the diaphram pain, however I think mine is from a back injury. I hope yours is entirely gone when removed. Best of luck to you!

KGG
on 3/27/14 11:03 pm
On March 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:

Before I had mine out I had horrid pain up under my rib cage and down into my diaphram. Most of it went away within a few weeks after surgery but I still have the diaphram pain, however I think mine is from a back injury. I hope yours is entirely gone when removed. Best of luck to you!

Thank you very much!

ladygodiva1228
on 3/27/14 11:55 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Glad they figured it out.  Sorry you have to have it removed and then wait for another WLS. 

It could have been caused by the other doctor poking your diaphragm, but I know of a friend who's husband had a port put in for cemo treatments and had a very bad reaction to the port and had to have it removed.  So it is possible that your body just does not want any type of silcone/plastic stuff in you. 

Best of luck.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Kate -True Brit
on 3/28/14 12:41 am - UK
On March 28, 2014 at 6:55 AM Pacific Time, ladygodiva1228 wrote:

Glad they figured it out.  Sorry you have to have it removed and then wait for another WLS. 

It could have been caused by the other doctor poking your diaphragm, but I know of a friend who's husband had a port put in for cemo treatments and had a very bad reaction to the port and had to have it removed.  So it is possible that your body just does not want any type of silcone/plastic stuff in you. 

Best of luck.

Ouch. The last thing you want under those cir****tances. I suppose there is always someone who is allergic to any substance!

KGG
on 3/28/14 12:59 am
On March 28, 2014 at 6:55 AM Pacific Time, ladygodiva1228 wrote:

Best of luck.

Thank you. I believe you're correct. I've never had any known allergies. But I've never had anything placed inside my body before so now I know.

FAIRY_5
on 3/28/14 7:47 am

Good Luck and hope all gets better after. :)

Most Active