Suggested Diets/Eating Habits

aintgotno5
on 8/12/14 7:07 am

Hey all. This is my first time posting on here, but my mom has been encouraging me to do so for months now and as everyone on here was very helpful to her when she had her bypass surgery over a decade ago.

I had my band in 12/2009 and was 260lbs. The lowest I've made it to was 180lbs but over the last year I have found my weight steadily creeping back up and now find myself at 220lbs.

My reason for posting is to find out what other surgeons have suggested to you for diets/eating habits post-surgery. The only guidance I have ever received from my surgeon is to eat 30g (or less) or carbs. My eating habits have not changed in the last three years (I am very much a creature of habit) and the weight gain has occurred over the last year. I don't want to ask my surgeon as I am always made uncomfortable when they berate me for not following their diet plan rather than try and help me come up with a plan that works better for me.

I am desperate to find out what other people are doing to be successful post-op. I made the decision to make this change in my life and I want to be a success. Please share. Thanks.

Hislady
on 8/12/14 8:25 am - Vancouver, WA

How is your fill level, is it working well or do you maybe need a bit more. Other than that all I can suggest is weigh and measure your foods carefully. It's easy to get too much by just eyeballing it. Write down eveything you put in your mouth and keep the carbs low. Myself if I go over 20 I will gain, I'm all for low carb it's the only way I ever lose. Remember protein first and then a few non starchy veggies works best. Add in some exercise if you can. Good luck!

Jo 1962
on 8/12/14 8:30 am - NearHouston, TX

Hi there...Your story sounds similar to mine...I got down to 186 and now at 220, weight slowly creeping back on.   I don't know how old you are ( I am 51) but I just found out my estrogen is low after a routine pap smear.  From what I've read, that can cause weight gain in the mid section (My problem area!).  I have had too many issues with the lap band over the past year so I am in the process of revising to the sleeve.    Are you happy with your band or are there things you just tolerate now?  (Getting stuck, not being able to eat certain foods so reverting to higher fat easier to get down type foods)

Anyway, I just started on Estriol, a bioidentical topical cream to help my estrogen level...and hopefully help me lose my tummy area too.  Have you had your hormones checked lately?

Good luck. :)

Jo

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

aintgotno5
on 8/12/14 9:24 am

I'm 27 and I'm happy with the way the band feels. I have had several adjustments over the years and like where I am at.

I'm not looking to go back to my surgeon, so please don't suggest that. I'm simply curious to see what other surgeons recommend for diets/eating habits post-surgery. Do they all only recommend low carb? Is that the common theme? Or are there other suggestions people have received.

Hislady
on 8/13/14 5:08 am - Vancouver, WA

Not everyone does super low carb that is just what works for me because I'm super sensitive to them. When I eat very many of them I just crave more. Like Kate said if we eat the way we are supposed to anyway with protein first and then veggies we tend to eat lower carb anyway.  Another thing is to eat slowly and savor your food, enjoy the taste and texture of it, wait in between bites and take small bites. Those of us with weight problems tend to shovel the food like a long shoreman after a hard days work. So make sure you eat slow and give your stomach time to signal your brain that it is full. No drinking with meals, it washes the food thru before you have time to feel full. Good luck hope some of this helps!

Kate -True Brit
on 8/12/14 7:04 pm - UK

I have never counts, or been told to count carbs.  In the losing stages, I stuck to around 1200 calories a day and, to keep hunger at bay, always ate protein, then crunchy veg, then carbs. So I probably was fairly low carb simply through the order of eating. 

I am currently (successfully) fighting a smallish regain and this is an example of what I eat each day. I am never hungry in the meaning so don't eat breakfast but being retired, I am able to have "breakfast" mid-morning. 

First thing: large skinny latte

mid-morning-  two eggs

lunch  - cold meat, salad, maybe a couple of rice cakes

dinner - salmon fillet, asparagus, peas, tiny new potatoes.

during the day if I want food-  mug of home-made carrot and lentil soup. Rice cracker and cold meat.

at some time, maybe with meal, maybe as a snack - fruit.

Apart from my morning later, I drink peppermint tea, lemon/ginger tea, green tea, water.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Kate -True Brit
on 8/13/14 6:20 am - UK

Just to add, sorry HIslady, my very good friend, contradicting you here!

We used to  be told not to drink with meals but it now known that well chewed food passes through an appropriately adjusted band in under a minutes -  the diminution of hunger comes from the number iof movements made by the oesophagus, not the length of tine food remains above the band. In fact, food should never remain above the band. Doing so risks damage to the oesophagus and the vagus nerve. 

Because of this new understanding, we are allowed to drink with meals as long as we allow each mouthful ample time to pass.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 8/13/14 11:00 am - Vancouver, WA

Ooops I stand corrected, Kate is right I just still do it out of habit. Drink up!

Most Active