Lap Band 11 years ago

kouts46
on 9/1/14 10:59 pm

I've read in other posts that not to many people post who've had the Lap Band for many years. Well I got mine in 2003 and am still thrilled with this help. It really has cut my appetite to nearly nothing. That being said I still have to fight the urge to "eat anyway" even though I'm not hungry. But that's the mind set of our struggle with food. I'm careful to stick to a low carb diet and exercise. The only complication I have experienced is reflux after my 4th fill. I went back to the doctor and got some saline removed and stopped eating after 4pm, unless it's a protein shake. I'm careful because I did have pneumonia once. I was treated with antibiotics. At the time I was looking for a Dr. in 2003 there were only 2 in my state of NJ certified to do the Lap Band. I went to Dr. Andrea who was the head of Bariatric surgery at New Brunswick hospital at that time. He's in Livingston now. He was great and I would recommend him.

Kate -True Brit
on 9/2/14 1:55 am - UK

Good to hear your story. There are actually a lot of us around, although not on here! I am "only " 8 1/2 years out but still loving my band. IRL, I know many like myself.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

km30381
on 9/3/14 11:28 am

Wow you are truly one of the first banders.  I live in San Diego and back in 2006 I had to go to Orange County to get my band because no one in San Diego did them.  It changed my life.  I hear so many horror stories about the band,  that the sleeve is the way to go but I can't imagine how cutting 80% of your stomach away is a better, safer choice.  My band has slipped and I may need another surgery but feel like another...newer, improved band is the way for me to go.  Best thing I ever did.  

pineview01
on 9/4/14 9:13 am - Davison, MI

For me cutting 80% of my stomach away was a better, safer choice.  I had major medical issues with the band. I had the newer, improved band.  I have had none with the sleeve and have lost 60 pounds more than with the band and am now down 130 pounds and "normal."

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Nic M
on 9/3/14 2:15 pm

I had my band put in in 2003, too. Unfortunately, my story is the exact opposite of yours. The band damaged my body more than I can even describe. I am happy for you that yours has worked for you, especially for this long. Wishing you continued success. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Bonnie1960
on 9/6/14 2:44 am

I was banded 12/3/2003 and after years of fighting with spasms, reflux and weightgain, I'm wore out...I have a revision scheduled for 9/15 to the sleeve.

LAPBAND Surgery in Norman, Oklahoma on 12/3/2003

Vertical Sleeve  Revision Surgery  in Amarillo, Texas on  12/1/2014   

Nic M
on 9/6/14 11:28 am

That's when I was banded, too. I think the same day, even. 

I developed a multitude of health issues from banding... ulcers, gastritis, hiatal hernia, diverticulosis, adhesions, reflux, and the surgeon damaged my diaphragm and the Vagus nerves. I'm a mess! Even years after removal, I'm having issues due to the damage. I feel for you! I know those spasms and reflux can be very painful. 

Good luck to you on your revision surgery. I hope it goes well and you recuperate well. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active