Hypothyroid and the Band

Melanie S.
on 1/1/15 10:30 pm - Richmond, VA

I am coming to vent.. I have never been so frustrated. I had the band in 2009. I did really well for a couple of years. Started having issues with my thyroid meds in 2013, so I found a new Endocrinologist. He takes me off one med and drops the dosage back to the lowest dose. Over the year I saw him, he only would bump my meds slowly. Meanwhile, I am gaining weight like a freak. I was down to a size 16 and happy about continuing, now I would be happy just to stop the back pain and knee pain from gaining weight so quickly.

I found a new endo here in VA after I moved, who immediately looked at my levels and asked why I would be on such a low dose.. Even while 'detoxing' from an over dose of thyroid, I should never have been so low. Now here I sit, 40lbs heavier, size 20-22 pants.. and pissed off. I feel so defeated. I have actually walked more, exercised more in the last 6 months that we have been in VA otherwise I would be 65 or more pounds heavier. UGH!!!

Sorry to vent on a Friday, but when your fat pants barely go over your a$$ it just gets frustrating.

Also if anyone knows of a LapBand doctor in the Richmond VA area, please let me know. It looks like this is a rare thing around here and closest doc listed from the OH page is in Newport News.

Thanks.. Happy New Year..

HW289/PreOp287/SW262

annie0039
on 1/2/15 12:23 am

Dr. Gregory L. Schroder, MD
8921 Three Chopt Rd #300, Richmond, VA 23229

(804) 285-9416

Hislady
on 1/2/15 8:17 am - Vancouver, WA

Well at least you seem to have a good doc now and your weight should start going back down. I had too high of a dose of thyroid and trust me you don't want that either, it runs your whole body on full blast I was a nervous wreck and lost weight so fast it made me sick literally. Good luck!

Laurena
on 1/11/15 4:00 am - Louisville, KY

Hi..I am Hypothyroid too and take medicine for it.Did your Dr.take a blood test before he took you off the medicine?If not you should have asked him for one.I take a blood test every 6 month and it will always tell the Dr. how much to medicine to give me.Hope you take care of that soon.

Most Active