When does the pain stop??

keggers
on 4/17/15 12:07 pm

i just got my lap band done on 4/16/15 and the fist day wasn't bad but today I feel like I've been hit and then run over twice. How long before the pain becomes mild. I've been up walking as much as possible and trying not to take the pains mess but I broke down and took two today. 

Bette B.
on 4/17/15 12:16 pm

You had surgery YESTERDAY? Well, you had a bunch of hole*****hed through skin and muscle which were subsequently stitched back up.

Yeah, you're having post surgical pain. It's gonna last more than 24 hours. Take the pain meds - that's what they're for. If it's gas pain you're feeling, try to get up and move around as much as possible. That will help.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kate -True Brit
on 4/17/15 5:42 pm, edited 4/17/15 5:43 pm - UK

Having knives stuck into you, your organs handled and then stitches put in tends to hurt for a few days! I was one if the lucky ones and never even needed pain medicine but it us going to take at least a few days. Just take it easy and in a couple of days you will feel fine! 

but if you have gas pain, moving as much as you can helps. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Gwen M.
on 4/18/15 5:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Take the pain meds.  There's nothing noble or heroic about suffering.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Hislady
on 4/18/15 7:27 am - Vancouver, WA

Totally agree with the rest of the ladies, you just had major surgery!!! For heaven's sake take the pain meds they won't hurt you and they will certainly help you. You paid for them, use them! Your body needs rest and the meds help with that, the more pain you are in the harder it is for your body to heal because it's busy trying to calm down the pain instead of doing the healing it needs to do. So go, right now and take your pain meds, you won't turn into a blithering maniacal, addict taking them for a few days. You will feel better soon.

Nic M
on 4/18/15 10:24 am

Definitely take the pain medication if you need it. You've had major surgery. I think when they tout the band as "less invasive" sometimes people think it means that it's not going to hurt as much. But it's truly a lot your body just went through.

With the pain meds comes the risk of constipation, so make sure you drink plenty of water and maybe consider taking a stool softener. You don't want to add the pain of constipation to the recuperation process. 

Feel better. Rest up and heal well. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active