Food/sugar withdrawals. HELP!

37newpath
on 3/31/16 6:50 pm
Lap Band on 03/29/16

Hello all!  I'm new to this forum & im desperate for any information to validate what I'm experiencing. I had the lap band done just a couple days ago.  5 days prior to my surgery I had to follow a liquid diet.  By day 2 I felt TERRIBLE!  Flu like symptoms.  I am now a few days post op & I'm still experiencing the flu like symptoms:  I feel like my head is burning up, constant sweating & terrible migraines.  Has anyone else experienced the same issues and if so how much longer can I expect to be miserable??

sheriberi29
on 4/1/16 5:19 am - Cleveland, TN

"ketosis flu" or the "induction flu" in the first few days while the body is adapting to burning ketones instead of glucose.

The basic symptoms are:
- Headaches
- Nausea
- Upset stomach
- Lack of mental clarity (brain fog)
- Sleepiness
- Fatigue

It's called the "ketosis flu" for a reason: you feel sick. I've gone through it and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Fortunately it only lasted 2 days but then suddenly I woke up feeling much better, less hungry and my energy level was really high and consistent throughout the day!

keep in mind this can last a little longer and everyone's different. 

I hope this helps you at least understand what may be going on

are you getting enough fluid and making sure you are not dehydrated ? 

Hislady
on 4/2/16 7:13 pm - Vancouver, WA

Do you have an actual temperature or do you simply feel flushed and hot? Could very well be from lack of carbs as in the keto flu or it could actually be the flu it is that time of year. Either way not much you can do for it except to stay well hydrated and get in as much protein as you can thru drinks or shakes whatever your food stage is right now. Do push the water take a small sip every 10-15 min to make sure you stay hydrated it is very important at this stage, even more than protein the first several days.

Most Active