HOW is everyone doing with their LAP BAND?

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/16 5:52 am - NY
Steph Meat Hag
on 8/2/16 9:19 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I wasn't happy forever.  I had some serious issues which lead to having that plastic demon pulled out and VSG done because that's about what could be done with the good tissue remaining.  I'm very fortunate I didn't suffer a full erosion and instead caught it early while talking about a revision anyway.

I'm none to pleased with the plastic demon's results, the lack of accountability it gave me, and the slider food addiction I developed to eat around that thing.  My personal opinion is that the band is not a positive WLS that eventually everyone will face some trouble with.  It's hard to think I didn't realize that strapping a piece of plastic around my stomach was not at one point going to cause me issues.  The doctor told me I'd die with that thing in me... not even close I made it 8 years and I wish I'd had it out earlier.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Ralguy78
on 8/5/16 12:24 pm

I just wanted to say I wish you good luck and much success with your band. I am almost at 6 years with my band and while I have had two slips with it I can say it has been the best gift I ever gave myself. I know Many, Many people do not have much good to say on the bands and I do understand it does not work for everyone as well as having some hard side affects making it impossible to live with. It like anything we have done is just a tool put in place to help us start on the right path but I have yet to see any surgery that is a 100% of a fix without draw backs.   I can only speck for myself here but I lost over 150 pounds from my band after my slip happened I went back up a little while I was getting myself back in check and so far I have been able to hold tight at 142 still lost.  I know in time the band will have to come out but until such time I am grateful for the kick start it has given me in LIVING LIFE and Learning to LOVE MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      

Nic M
on 8/5/16 2:47 pm

I just have to ask this question. You don't have to answer, if you don't want to.

Are you concerned about having multiple surgeries at all? I have so much scar tissue and so many adhesions from the multiple corrective band surgeries I had and they really cause a lot of discomfort. My last colonoscopy was a nightmare since the doctor had trouble moving the scope through due to adhesions. I just wonder in cases like yours where you've had not just one but two slips if you've thought about how dangerous undergoing surgery truly is... or does it not bother you? Did your surgeon recommend a revision at any time rather than fixing the slips? Or did you even have to have surgery to repair the band slips? I know some "fix" themselves by unfilling the band sometimes. 

Wishing you continued success with the band. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Ralguy78
on 8/8/16 8:44 pm

Nice M,  

I am so sorry to hear what you have been through with your Surgeries.  I worry alot about many different things happening to my body as well as my health. I have been lucky the times I have had my slip we only took the fluid out and after a few weeks of taking it easy the band slipped back in place on it's on. I live with the knowledge that one day I will have to have the been taken out or that something will happen to it all together. When that day comes I'll cross that bridge because I'm not a candidate for any other type of surgery along the weight loss lines. I have severe PTSD and therefore have been told the lap band was the only procedure I can at that time and most likely ever will be able to have because of the that..

I have been truly lucky and blessed in so many ways with everything that I've been able to accomplish while having had this procedure as I said before this is a tool that was given to me to help me get where I needed to be but realistically and granted this is just my way of thinking it is all my doing if I stay this way on with or without the band.

As well as after having skin removal surgery just a few months ago now that my body is finally getting a little bit back to normal in a manner of words. To do anything I can keep myself healthy and to not put on what I was so lucky to have had the opportunity and the means of having it taken off.

Most Active