Dilated Esophagus

Band11
on 3/20/17 7:13 pm

I am 6+ years post lap band surgery. I have been very successful with it with no problems. My starting weight was 354 and I went down to 198 and maintained that until last year with my pregnancy. Before my pregnancy, I never had one bit of trouble with my band at all! I committed to eating right and exercising religiously and it worked! However, during my pregnancy and post pregnancy, numbers seemed to get confusing with my fills (because I always ask what they're doing even though they don't like to say).

I had been having a lot of problems keeping anything down since October and found out in February that my esophagus is dilated and achalasia. All of my fluid came out and in the past three weeks I have gained 15lbs. Because of not being able to keep anything (even liquids) down for a few months, I was malnourished, dehydrated, just a mess. So a little gain I expected for my body to catch up and regain health. But I guess my biggest concern is now what?

I go back to the doctor Friday for another upper GI. At my last appointment I was told there were no restrictions I had to follow, just eat lap band appropriate. However, over the last few days, I have been reading blogs and doing research and have found that a lot of patients with this problem are put on a strict liquid diet for the month. Has anyone gone through this and been able to return to band restriction successfully? I'd appreciate any input.

arielmrose
on 3/25/17 9:25 pm - HI

5.5 years post lap band. Same symptoms. Once the symptoms started I never have been able to lose weight again, though I can maintain with vigilance. A key seems to be to not eat solids for 3 days after a band top up and to do the top ups with very small additions. Good luck.

Band11
on 3/26/17 9:58 pm

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

1queenbee3
on 3/29/17 7:02 am - Columbia, MD

I'm currently going through the same thing and I have developed reflux. Unfortunately, I'm also having pain and heaviness in my chest. I've been on a diet of liquids and soups. This kind of diet is helping me not hurt when I'm eating, so I prefer it to eating whole foods. My doctor recommeded that I continue on that diet as well, since I felt better doing it. My doctor put me on meds yesterday to help with my symptoms. I will have an endoscopy next Monday to see if there are any internal problems that could not be seen with the barium swallow.

I recommend listening to your body and your doctor. I wish I could give you more input, but I'm just starting to have the problem.

Highest Weight--Surgery Weight--Current Weight--Goal
                                                    282                  231                170.3            135

Band11
on 3/29/17 5:41 pm

Sorry to hear that you're going through a lot of the same symptoms. I, too, was having chest pain. The upper GI found a hiatal hernia that I didn't know I had. A lot of what I was experiencing are symptoms from the hernia and not the lap band. The second upper GI on Friday has shown that my esophagus looks good, so I got a 4cc's put back in. It's not much, but enough to start over. I've dropped 5lbs since Friday and so far so good. I have been doing protein shakes and water and if I get hungry I'll do either a bowl of soup or a salad for dinner. Good luck.

1queenbee3
on 4/4/17 7:46 pm - Columbia, MD

So...I have hiatal hernia in addition to reflux. My band is being taken out now. I will be bandless in less than a week. In shock and scared about gaining weight.

Band11
on 4/4/17 7:59 pm

Oh dear! Why are they taking it out?

Band11
on 4/4/17 8:01 pm

Will you revise to sleeve or bypass?

1queenbee3
on 4/4/17 8:09 pm - Columbia, MD

It's coming out because of the pain I have with eating solid food. I have reflux and hiatal hernia. Eating soft foods forever just isn't the life I want to live (the only thing that didn't bother my reflux). I do not want to develop issues with my esophagus by having continued reflux issues.

My doctor did not discuss revision. She wants to focus on getting me well and then revisit the issue. I will probably have to start all over again.

Band11
on 4/5/17 1:12 pm

Well, certainly, best of luck to you! Healthy is the goal! Hope you feel better very soon!

Most Active