Hi New here to the Lupus forum

lupiemom3
on 5/1/08 1:40 am - MD

My name is Le, Ihave had lupus for 29 yrs now. I have gained so much weight with pred. I am still on it. I have a son Sam, he is 9. Took along time to get him. I went thru inferitlity treatments. I am married to Chuck, for 26 yrs this June.  I have been on the OH for years just not very much. Finally I decided to go forward for weight loss surgery. I have diabetes,liver problems,high chole. and triglicerods I am considering the lapband and went to my first appt with the surgeon, dieticiation. He didn't seem to have a problem with my lupus. Should I be?? It is more risk for the lap band then the bypass type surgery? If anybody has any thoughts please let me know. I will be on here more now that I know this group exsists. I will read the posts and hope to chat with all of you. Take Care, Le

talksoupslp
on 5/20/08 2:05 am
According to the material I read about the Lapband from the manufacturer, Lapband is contraindicated in people with autoimmune disease/connective tissue disease and in people with a history of it in their family. This is just what I've read.  Haven't discussed it with any doctor (I'm looking at RNY personally). -Elli
lupiemom3
on 5/21/08 5:15 am - MD
Hi Elli,
I talk to my surgeon on the 29th about different options. I have talked with a few other people about the VSG, so I am talking to my surgeon about that on the 29th. Do you have lupus too? Talk to you later, Le
kathy C.
on 6/10/08 2:41 am - Beattyville, KY

Hi, I would also love to have the lap band. I had just recieved a letter from my Dr to summit to the insurance co,  then the unthinkable has happened to me. This wk I was told that I probally have lupus and have had it for over 10 yrs.  Orginally I was told by another Dr. that I have MS.   I had bee thinking and been treated for ten yrs with MULTIPLE  SECALORIS.The last Dr said that she is 100% certaint  that her test prove that I do not have the MS.. This is great but Knowing that it is probally lupus is also upsetting.  I am awaing for an appointment with a rhumotoligist? ( I can't spell..sorry).  I was in hopes of getting the lapband and now I don't know what to do.  If anyone has sugestions then I am listening. Please let me know what you find out.  I have gained over 100 lbs taking predisone on and off over the past 10- 12 yrs.  I know exactly how you feel! Take Care and I wish You The Very Best. Kathy  Callahan

lupiemom3
on 6/22/08 2:14 pm - MD
Hi Kathy,
So sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. My Father in law ha a heart attack then he ha heart bypass last week so been with him ever since. Sorry to haer you have Lupus,but I guess just the like the rest of the diseases out there I guess it really isn't too ba. I have a great Rhumy even though she is more like my 2nd mom. I know the pred. isn't good, but it has let me live a semi goo life. I have no major problems, except I have iabetes which I think I did to myself but other then that no major organ problems, knock on wood,the only bad thing is the weight. I ha to retalk to my surgeon about the labpand and we decided it wasn't the best for Lupus, so we are going to go with the VSG,Ins wont cover but maybe with all my problems they will. Keep your fingers crossed. I have to see him again in July and hopefullly all my tests and things have been to the ins and they will let us know by then what's up. I see the nutrishenist 1 more timne this week and then all done with everything. Keep in touch and I will try to write sooner ok, Take CAre,Le
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/09 11:15 am

Le-

Have your doctor write a Letter of Medical Necessity, explaining that because of lupus, you can't tolerate the Lap-Band procedure.

However, let me caution you:  the VSG it the top half of the DS.  It will give you restriction, but you will still absorb 100% of every calorie you eat.

The malapsotive part of the DS is what will KEEP the weight off.

Take a look at www.duodenalswitch.com and www.dsfacts.com.

There are some things about the DS that some can't live with, but you owe it to yourself to

"Think twice; cut once".
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/09 11:08 am

Lupiemom-

Elli is right.  The band will be perceived as a foreign body, and your already overactive immune system will go haywire. 

The Lap Band was my first consideration.

After more research, I decided on the DS.  However, the insurance I had only covered RNY, so I was about to settle. 

I did some deep soul searching, and since I was the one who was gong to have to live with the surgery, I backed out.  The COBRA coverage was getting to be a bit to much to handle, anyway.

Last year, while I was recuperating from shoulder surgery, SSDI was approved, and since I'd been waiting for it for 2 1/2 years, I was eligible for Medicare immediately. 

More research, and I found that both Medicare and Medicaid covered the DS, so...

On February 25, 2009, after 11 years of praying, becoming unable to work, and gaining nearly 200 pounds from prednisone...I got my DS!!

To date, I have lost 112.2 pounds.  Saturday was my 5 month "surgiversary".

The surgeon was fine with doing my surgery.  The lupus was stable, and I found an anesthesia protocol that I discussed with my anesthetist prior to surgery, to reduce the chance of a fibro flare.

As long as your lupus is stabilized at the time of surgery, you shouldn't have any problem with WLS, but, you won't be able to get a Lap-Band.  Research some other options.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1751 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2065 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2182 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2962 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4695 views