Lymphedema Therapy

memphisgirl416
on 12/28/10 7:23 am
I finally got a call from the theripist that works with people that have lymphedema and I have an appt set up for the 5th of January. I'm nervous about it but glad I got the call when I did since the past two weeks my legs have been more swollen than ever and it's really taking its toll on me. When I talked to the lady I asked her what kind of table she had and she said a wood one so I then tried to explain to her about me being morbidly obese but she thinks it will hold me, guess thats really the main thing i'm worried about. I don't want to get on the table and have it break or anything like that. I went ahead and bout a step stool as well since she said I would have to step up to get on the table and I wanted to make sure I have a step stool with a high weight limit on it. Anyways could someone who has had the therapy done please explain to me what exactly goes on and how long it will be before I see some results? Thanks :)
jdruski
on 12/29/10 2:48 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi

I only went once to see a therapist to see what the options were.  I read some of your story.  I can relate to the pain especially when the cellulitu****s.  I went for therapy in 07 so I don't know how much I will remember.  The therapist was very nice and she knew what she was doing.  She mostly showed me different massaging techniques, gave me tips about what lotion to use and then showed me how I would have to wrap. 

I would make a suggestion, if you can take someone that you are comfortable with and who can act as a second pair of ears for you.  It also might help relax you. 

Have you had the surgery yet?  I had mine in 06 and lost over 200 lbs.  I have since gained back around 50 so I still have 100 - 125 lbs to go.  The weight loss will help tremedously.

Please follow through on what ever the therapist tells you.  I am sure that Amy Williams would help answer questions for you as she is the lymphedema queen and is very knowledgable.

Good luck to you.  If you like you can PM me and I will send you my e-mail addie.

I really would like to hear how you make out.

Happy New Year

Jeanne
lesliej
on 1/16/11 3:56 am - Fulton, MO
Therapy is wonderful.  I started going in October, November and December.  Honestly, I wish I would have found this therapist sooner.  I suffer from lower right leg lymphedema.  My therapist showed me how to massage and wrap.  She explained the lymphatic system to me as well.  I am a joking type of person and when she asked me to get undressed, I replied with well I should get a dinner first.  We both laughed.  I also took my sister with me on my 2nd visit so she could learn how to wrap etc...  I am now approved for surgery (waiting on a date), and my lymphedema is under control.  I wear a compression garment and my leg is "reshaping".  I no longer have to go to weekly therapy.  I just check in every 3 months or so.  I cannot wait to have weight loss surgery and finally be free from the excess weight. 

You'll be so happy with therapy!!!
Most Active