Recent Posts

Caryl Mauk
on 2/1/06 2:51 am - Manor, TX
RNY on 06/26/06 with
Topic: RE: Lighting the incense.
I meditate in the style of Shambhala teachings from Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. Check out his book Shambhala: The Path of the Warrior. Also I love Pema Chodron, one of his students. She is American and a Buddhist nun. She has written many wonderful books. Caryl
Caryl Mauk
on 2/1/06 2:46 am - Manor, TX
RNY on 06/26/06 with
Topic: Pema Chodron
I found a wonderful audiobook by Pema Chodron: Getting Unstuck: Breaking Habitual Patterns and Encountering Naked Reality. It's a series of talks about meditation and being stuck in unhealthy patterns in our lives. She really addresses the struggles many of us encounter day to day as we try to change our eating habits (or other unhealthy habits). If anyone happens by and is interested in discussing practice here, email me. Caryl
coachjeffcadwell
on 7/7/05 12:14 pm - Tustin, CA
I have referred many people to this web site. You will be able to meditate very easily, and yet very quickly with these very simplistic and yet effective guided meditations: http://www.learningmeditation.com/ I hope this adds serenity and calm into your life - I think it is important for us to remember that we had this surgery to improve our entire life, not just the physical. I am confident that doctors recommend this technique, so that you can strengthen your mental state of being.
Bettyj
on 12/29/04 12:24 am - University City, MO
Its so easy to wrap my self in everyday concerns that meditation takes the back seat. I've been ill the last few days and I think part of it is because my body is telling me to relax. During the holidays I would try to calm my mind but it was hard. Now I remember my body is as important as my mind. Last night I used some meditative music and was finally able to completely let go. Is there some part of your meditation routine missing?. Sometimes its a simple thing needed to get you back into the place you need. I too feel the need for a spiritual retreat but in the mean time will search for the retreat within. Betty
Joanna S.
on 12/28/04 7:51 am - oneonta, NY
It doesn't really surprise me, I suppose, that so few individuals come here. The quiet resounds. Too much openness can feel overwhelming. My practice is not strong these days. I feel the need to build it up, but there's almost some part of me that refuses to give permission for me to recommence my sitting. Shallow breaths, monkey mind thoughts, and resistance, resistance, resistance. Anyone else struggle in this way? I feel the need for a retreat, but can't work one in right now. Maybe a mini home-retreat would be a creative alternative.... I hope that others come. I invite correspondence. Joanna
Evelin M.
on 10/9/04 4:29 am - new york, NY
Topic: Site about Yoga, meditation, relaxation, the Maha Mantra, Enlightenment and Bhakti.
If you want to know something about Yoga, Pranayama, relaxation, meditation, the Maha Mantra, Enlightenment, Vedic culture of India and Bhakti , visit the site http://www.ramakrishnananda.com
ginafitsemons
on 9/15/04 8:14 am - NM
Hi i read your post and i have a question. I have been trying to meditate and lately, the second i relax and start to breath, very bad images come up and it frightens me and i quit trying to meditate. I had my surgery on 8/16 and i went into therapy before and after. I have fear issues and in fact i am going to see a hypnotist tomorrow. When i do, do my meditation, i do it in a laying down position (bad back) but lately i just cant do it. Do you have any suggestions. thanks very much Gina
John W.
on 6/11/04 3:05 am - Central, NJ
Janice, Thanks for posting! There are many different styles of meditation. I practice in the Zen tradition so that's what I know best. 1. Find a comfortable sitting position, in a chair or crosslegged on the floor. Lying down isn't generally recommended since we tend to associate that with sleep. Whatever you choose, be sure that your back is straight and relaxed (not ramrod military straight!) - same for your head, neck and shoulders. Eyes can be opened but softly focused, or closed if you prefer. You can just fold your hands in your lap. 2. Breathing. This is very important. Focus you attention about two inches below your naval. You want to take deep, full breaths from your diaphgram. Just as babies or opera singers do. You are able to take in more air in this way than with "pump up the chest" style breathing, as your lungs expand downward. The focus below the naval stimulates a nerve center that promotes the generation of energy. This same principle is at work in yoga, taichi, martial arts, etc. The breathing rate should be natural not forced. With time you'll notice that you start to breath very slowly with no effort. 3. Mind. Simply count your exhalations from one to ten. The count can be as long as the exhale; onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne, twoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, etc. Initially this can prove to be quite a challenge, as thoughts arise and before we know it we are off in a kind of dream state. Remembering some event from long ago or planning something in the future. It happens to all of us. When you notice that you have lost count, stop, acknowledge/recognize the thoughts and start over again. The goal is not to "get to ten" but rather to become aware of when we are day-dreaming and to become more aware of the present moment. We are not trying to stifle thought but rather let it settle down naturally. An image often given is that of a glass of muddy water. Stir it and it will never get clear, let it sit and eventually all of the cloudyness settles down, revealing the true clarity. Just like exercise, regular periods of meditation are the most effective. Start with just five minutes after waking or before bed. In time these short periods will fly by and you'll have no trouble sitting for longer. The simple beauty is that you have everything you need to do this wherever you are - it comes in handy while waiting in the doctor's office or on bus rides. Simple but not so easy! But it does work. Given a few weeks you'll probably notice changes in how you deal with situations that life offers and you'll certainly be more aware of the tired, old, re-runs that all of us are playing in our heads (and that we subsequently act out of in our lives). Please post/email if anything I said above is unclear. Good luck! jmw
newlifefor3
on 6/11/04 1:45 am - Naples, FL
Hey guys!!! I just want to know HOW to meditate.....I have had several doctors recommend it to me to reduce stress....But have no clue how.....Anyone know how to tell a newbie how to start??? I am very curious and interested in learning....HELP!!!!! Janice
John W.
on 5/7/04 1:26 am - Central, NJ
I had heard of the surgery in the mid 80's. I went to a consultation and was certainly a candidate. Ultimately, I was too scared to go through with it and I had that "this is the easy way out" idea. 15 years and many pounds later I decided too look into it again. Other than sleep apnea I never had any serious health problems, but I could see my 40th birthday a few years away and knew what lay ahead. So I figured "now or never". Even though I had some difficulties in adjusting to a thinner self (and those contributed to the end of my marriage), I have never regretted it.
Most Active