less than 2 days away and sick

buddadaddy
on 11/4/06 7:50 am - monroe, LA
i am less then 2 days away from my surgery and i still have a little chest congestion and some light sniffles i am taking some tussin dm and some sinus pills. but i am scared they might not let me have the surgery. any ideas on how to know this out?
* GT Jason *
on 11/4/06 8:00 am - Eastern Shore, MD
I was worried about almost the same thing myself. I had a cold the entire week before my surgery and still had the sniffles the day of surgery, although I didn't have the chest congestion. For me it was no problem, lots of Tylenol cold helped. However, I would suggest calling your surgeon's office ASAP and get their thoughts. Frustrating as it would be, you don't want to be going under with lung issues.
Dx E
on 11/4/06 10:53 am - Northern, MS
Mike, "...a little chest congestion?" Smokin' still? Mucinex maybe? Some folks swear by it. Let 'em know on Monday. Better to have a delay than problems. Yes? Make sure that you're not taking stuff with aspirin or ibuprofen in it 24 hours Prior to surgery. It thins the blood. Hope you're feeling better by the morning. Best Wishes- Dx
buddadaddy
on 11/4/06 12:03 pm - monroe, LA
i told my surgen they think ill be fine i have quit i was down to 3 or so a day before so i think illbe fine. there i am taking some stuff and it seems to be working. i am having a hard time these last few hours i am so scared. they tell me i need to see myself a year from now but i cant is this normal?
Scott_I
on 11/4/06 1:15 pm
Don't sweat if Mike. As long as you tell you doctors what is going on they will know whether or not it is safe to proceed. I assume clear lungs are important to surgery only because I had my listened to about 10 times before I went into the O.R.. I too had some congestion the morning of surgery, but it did not delay it. Let us know how things go. I don't excpect you will get cancelled. Worry about that when the time comes. Best Luck Bud. I'll be looking to hear from you when you get home. Scott
Dx E
on 11/4/06 4:06 pm - Northern, MS
Mike, Good to hear you kept at the smoking thing!!! Have the Greatest Ever on Monday!!! Best Wishes- Dx
momo66
on 11/4/06 8:28 pm
I had a bad cold when I had my surgery. It ultimately cost me an extra day in the hospital due to my congestion and fever. Dont worry. Just take your cold medicine. Mike
JeffreyF
on 11/4/06 8:57 pm - Mineola, NY
It's the doctor's call on this one and since you informed him he thinks it will be ok then you should be fine. Two words of post surgery advice; 1) Get you but out of the hospital bed as soon as possible and start walking pain or no-pain, even if for 1 minute at a time. Make a nurse or aid help you. 2) They should be giving you a little plastic lung exerciser thingy (insperon?) that you need to inhale to make the ball get to the top. You should do this exercise initially for 10 breaths in a row, once every hour you are awake. That will reduce the likelihood of a lot of complications. The woman next to me in recovery would not do these things and she ended up having a rough time with respiratory and some minor heart issues. I was being discharged while she was being told that she should expect another couple of nights at least and the staff was pretty adamant that most of the complications were do to her refusing to walk and breathe. Good luck.
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 29 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 65 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 88 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 98 views