A question for everyone

SonnySmith
on 12/31/06 11:47 am
I've noticed from reading profiles that many, if not most of you were far more obese than I am. Some of you might see me at 5'6" and 225 lbs and think I'm just pleasantly plump. I however, firmly believe WLS is for me. I have a sense of free-falling from chubby guy who is "handling it" to someone who is spiraling out of control and feeling the affects of one's obesity both mentally and physically. Feelings of helplessness and self-loathing. Viewing myself as being weak and as a failure for my inability to limit food intake. Anyway, the question is: If you had it to do over, would you have pursued WLS before your BMI reached 40? I realize that my BMI of 37 requires me to also have the diagnosis of a co-morbidity. I'm seeing a sleep doctor on 1/5 and expect to get my and my wifes suspicions confirmed by his diagnosis. We are sleeping in separate rooms due to my snoring and other assorted noises (we're still doing it, but sleeping in separate rooms.) I don't wish myself the diagnosis of Sleep Apnea. I'm certain many suffer greatly from its effects. We just firmly believe I have it. But in all honesty, I wouldn't be going to the sleep doctor if I wasn't interested in WLS. As I approach 50 (I'm 47,) I don't see things getting better without some drastic action. I'm pretty active for a short fat guy and suprisingly the sport I enjoy most is basketball (though admittedly my game is much slower than it was when I was lighter....and younger.) I also have noticed more labored breathing in addition to the increasing difficulty in tying my shoes. I certainly don't want to denegrate anyone who's situation is far worse than mine. I realize that the purpose of this surgery is to reclaim lives lost to obesity. I'm pretty lucky, for me its not that bad...yet. The one factor that I can't seem to control is the amount of food I take in. Its a pretty self-destructive pattern. I'm sure there have been days of 7000 calories consumed. Days of complete gluttony. I really hate myself on those days. Some days are worse than others. Despite fairly regular exercise I continue to gain weight. Oh sure, I've lost plenty of weight the conventional way. I actually entered bodybuilding contests while I was in my 20's and 30's. I could really get ripped. I did a print ad and a commercial for a weight loss supplement after one of my before/after programs. I carry a fair amount of natural muscle mass (even if I don't lift) When my bodyfat gets to single digits, what is left is a short stocky muscular guy. Its true, a spartan diet and much exercise can help you lose massive amounts of weight. For me it was always a temporary solution to a permanent problem (over-eating.) Well that short stocky muscular guy would invariably dissappear over time under the growing layer of marshmallow that currently entombs him. I feel sort of like an alcoholic who has aknowledged their powerlessness over alcohol and has finally reached out for help. I don't expect it to be easy. I know I'll need to up the exercise again. I can do that. What I can't seem to do is control how much I eat. I need the tool that the Lap Band is. With this tool, I feel better able to control my insatiable appetite. Not just for vanity purposes, but for my health. Yo-Yo-ing is not good for you. But then again, neither is morbid obesity. I guess the real question I'm trying to ask is: Should I pursue this now or wait until my obesity affects my quality of life more? If you had it to do over what would you have done? Sorry this was so long. Thanks guys. Sonny
spike-columbia
on 12/31/06 1:05 pm - lexington, SC
VSG on 01/09/07 with
Sonny, I'm 5'8" 245lbs 37 bmi. I have thought the same thing and I will have VSG Jan.10-12, 2007. I'm going to Dr. Joya. 11K all inclusive. I have been exhibiting more and more health signs - I have a weakness for food. The VSG will allow me to retrain myself for proper foods. Besides you will not be able to eat like before at least quanity. Good Luck Spike
Cagledude
on 12/31/06 1:32 pm - Lawrence, IN
Sonny, My wife and I both had Banded RNY in April 2006. If I was to do it all over again, I would, without hesitation. I have lost 140 pounds which is actually more than I originally planned to lose. I am now in the process of trying to stop losing weight (a problem I've never had). My wife has lost over 150 pounds and wants to lose another 20-30 pounds, but looks great now. We had a great surgeon that emphasized changing our eating habits, not the weight loss. The weight loss was just an added benefit. Before surgery, I was taking 9 prescriptions a day. I am now down to 2 for sinuses. I had high blood pressure for 8 1/2 years and it is completely gone now. One benefit that my wife is seeing is that I no longer snore. I am healthier now than I ever have been. I have so much more energy and feel like I have a new life. Since surgery, we have moved to a new state, changed jobs, and feel like we're starting over at age 50. Good luck in your decision and prepare for a wonderful 2007. Floyd
carrtje
on 12/31/06 2:45 pm - Chico, CA
Heya Sonny, I'm 5'6" and was 300.3#s when I decided to have Lapro RNY. I had it a few weeks ago. I believe that numbers shouldn't persuade one to have the surgery. This decision is life altering and life changing. Don't base it upon what some mechanical apparatus, or a formula tells you. You'll know if it's right or wrong for you. Do I wish I would have done it earlier? nope. I'm sure that i had it just at the right time. Best of luck., Jake
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/06 10:11 pm
Scott William
on 12/31/06 10:42 pm
I hate to post a really lame answer but the question as to whether or not you should have surgery is really up to you, a surgeon and a psych doctor. Those are the people that are really qualified to answer your specific questions. That being said, I felt like a light weight at 6'1" and 375 and part of my reasoning was definitely related to things getting worse. I told people that I wanted a chance at success and WLS definitely did that for me. It gave me an opportunity to win the battle whereas, previously, I could never have won. Good luck making your decision and my personal opinion is that your rational is a good one. Take care Scott
carbonblob
on 1/1/07 2:11 am - los angeles, CA
Well Sonny, like most of us, you'll kick yourself in the ass you didn't do it sooner should you and your doc decided this is in your best interest. A couple of quick observations about your post. There's a metabolic and physiological change when we keep getting fatter. You just don't get full anymore no matter how much you eat. I had the same thing and I was heading towards 300#. Secondly, I'm considered a lightweight too. I'll forewarn you that our trip is a little different. First, I'm short too 5'8" and I started at 287#. You'll notice most of these guys loose 100# in 100 days or less. That won't happen to us. Read one of Dx's post about weight percentage because it really applies to us. It will take a while to lose to your ideal weight but it will still be incredibly fast. I've lost 140 pounds in a year and some guys do that in a few months. The bigger you are the faster it comes off. Only you can make the choice, as others have eluded to. At our age you bet more trouble is around the corner if you continue to gain weight. As I would say to all who want this operation, get your head and ass wired together because it's a real roller coaster and maybe even harder once you're there at goal. You have to change habits too and that's always tough. Hope this helped....Carbonblob
Markwho
on 1/1/07 7:18 am - Morristown, NJ
Hey Sonny, It is not how you think is how you are & feel. I started at 320 lbs (highest weight 1 year ago) and when I finally had surgery I was 275. I was still at a BMI of 40.8. It was still very important for me to have the surgery. I was back to my old eating habbits, I had high Blood Press, high sugar, my back was killing me, and due to the weight if I was on my feet for more then 2 hours at a time, my ankles & knees would kill me for the rest of the day & the following as well. I could not do it on my own so I had the surgery. You have to decide if it is right for you.
Dx E
on 1/1/07 1:05 pm - Northern, MS
Hey Sonny, Dave T at- http://obesityhelp.com/member/bmibaby/ Probably has the most 'hands-on' experience for you. He was one of those guys who was "Mr. Physical Fit," Then gained, then lost, then Gained before having WLS. For those of us who were just Obese forever before WLS it is a different story. I had tried every diet/exercise combo that there was. I was often partially successful but never got below 'Obese' On the BMI calculator at all. I wish I had done it much sooner. But, that's just me. "Your Mileage May Vary." For me it has been sort of Steel Sleeves on a Heroin-Addict. I can eat more than needed, but no where Near what I once could pack away. The biggest change was using the first 9 months as a "Re-Boot" To completely re-build my eating habits and food choices from scratch. That has made the last 2 years below goal an easy maintenance. Just my thoughts. Read and research yourself into a stupor before choosing WLS or Different Type of WLS. They all work for some, they all can be defeated by emotional eating And continued poor eating habits. 10% of people who lose their excess weight with diet and exercise, Maintain their loss beyond 5 years. 70% of people who lose their excess weight with diet and exercise, supported with Weight-loss surgery Maintain their loss beyond 5 years. I didn't want to put my money on the "long-shot" when it came to my future. Yes? Glad you found this Board! Throw out any questions, idea or thoughts! It's sort of like an all request radio station- Only as good as the requests made of it..... Best Wishes- Dx
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 66 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 89 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views